French River Advice

sneak_e_pete

Anywhere you can find a heavy current, you WILL have success. Crooked Rapids is a trek for sure, but there are many many areas on the way to the crooked, that have heavy current, wherever you find bottlenecks, drop a nice 1 ounce jig down and you will find success, regardless of depth.

Try the Crooked Rapids. Its a bit of a boat ride but it may pay off. Also you may want to try in front of Shells Camp in the fast water.

There are narrows just past Schells camp going away from the bridge (you'll be looking towards the golf course once you are through them) You can anchor in the calms along the rocks but just on the side of the fast water. If the walleye are there there will be a few other boats and you all will catch them. Only 5 -10 minutes past the camp.

there are no charts for the lower french as it is not a navigable waterway for ships. best bet is to ask the locals and only go where other boats go. some of the rocks are marked with buoys, but some are not.

Most rocks are not marked. I know because I hit 4 of them last summer. Didn't do damage though, I definately don't go too fast in unknown water.

Most rocks are not marked. Didn't do damage though, I definately don't go too fast in unknown water.

Very sound advice for that water. About the time you think your clear and in open water ... bang !!! I've been fortunate as well the few times I hit one .. go slow until you KNOW the water your travelling