Suggestions Wanted for a Baitcast Reel

Hello Folks!

I have just purchased a baitcast rod (my first) as I found a good one for over 50% off! It is something I have been meaning to do for some time now.

Now, I need a good quality reel without breaking the bank. I have never used a baitcaster before and would like a beginner friendly reel.

I tried a Quantum (burst?) in the store and it seemed really easy to use, and like it was a real good unit.

I could be enticed to spend some more money and find a more expensive reel if I am convinced it is far superior to the rest.

I will be predominantly fishing for Bass, Pike, and Walleye with this setup once the season opens. I may also get a few musky opportunity.

What are your suggestions for anyone experienced with centre-pins?

What I already know . . .

1) No line less than 10lbs

2) Practice casting in a field or back yard with a hookless plug

3) That patience is required for the first trip or two

Thanks for any help in advance!

Ryan

a baitcast reel is one of those things where spending more will def get you more in performance...biggest factor is a higher end reel will have a better braking system, which is important for a newbie....I'd recommend a shimano citica as a good entry level baitcast that won't break the bank but will also last you for years too

If you're new to baitcasting, my advice is to buy the best you can, cheaper reels have inferior cast controls, brakes and drags, they will just frustrate you and you will be picking up your spinning outfit again.

don't get fooled by flashy chrome bling bling and the number of ball bearings because number of bearings don't always reflect the quality of a reel, stick with proven winners like Daiwa, Shimano etc,

Personally I think Daiwa's MagForce Z is the best cast control(anti backlash) syestem, on higher end, Daiwa Zillion is a very good quality reel, Shimano Curado would be my 2nd choice,

if you're on a budget look at Team Daiwa Advantage 153 HSTA (Super Tuned)it also has MagForceZ anti backlash control.

Edited by stonefish

i bought a cheap rod and reel last summer was like 69 bucks at canadian tire didn't realy no any better this year i bought a bass pro carbon lite by no means top of the line but have played out in the back with it and haven't had a backlash yet and its a dream to cast with can't wait to get it out in the boat.

for about 120-130 bucks u can get a quantum kinetic PT. excellant reel, reel good styling and a solid reel. jump up to 150 and get a quantum catalyst. another excellant reel. if u wanna spend more, drop about 180-200 and get a quantum Energy PT one of the best reels on the market and at a much better price then most other companies "elite" reels.

Hi Ryan;

Abu, Diawa, Quantum and Shimano all make reels in every price range.

I prefer Shimano because of their service and the fact that repairs can be done in Peterborough, which is quite close to where I live.

Others have suggested that you buy the best reel you can afford. I agree, because Baitcasters need tight tolerances, and that costs money. With any of the name brands you will get what you pay for.

If you are on a budget, watch for sales...The Revo Skeet Reese model is being sold off at a $100.00 discount right now at BPS. Speaking of BPS, they have good, cheap reels. In the long run, they might not be repairable, because there might not be any parts available. But, if you get your use out of it, "So What?" If you don't have a lot to spend, I would look at the BPS reels.

If you are right handed I suggest that you buy a right hand cranking reel. Some people, who grew up on spinning reels, believe that left hand reels are better. I think they are wrong! However it is a free country and we are all allowed to make our own mistakes.

Ten years ago most bass reels had about a 5.3 to 1 gear ratio. Five years ago most new reels came with about 6.3 to 1 gears. Today many new reels have a 7 to 1 gear ratio...Reels with high numbers pick-up line faster, but lower numbers are easier to crank. Big baits and deep divers will wear you out with a "Burner" type reel.

I like 40 pound test braid on my baitcasters. I generally use a leader of Fluorocarbon for sinking/diving baits and one of Mono-filament for surface baits. KVD uses mostly 17 and 20 pound BPS fluorocarbon. You should use what you like, but be aware that professional over runs, AKA bird-nests, are easier to pick-out of braid and heavier plastic lines.

Learning to cast is much easier than you think. If you have any trouble, I or anyone else you know around here, will be glad to help you.

Good Luck

Garry2R's

quantum has a service center in orillia, and they are fantastic to deal with. very fast and never give any hassel. call them up, tell them the issue, send them the rod or reel, and usually within 3-5 days u have ur gear back in ur hands.

Most popular manufacturer's have authorized service centres in Ontario. You could also keep your eyes open for a quality used reel in the classifieds.

As for right vs left hand retrieve, interesting comments earlier. I am right handed and I reel left handed. To me it feels more comfortable/natural to have the rod in my dominant hand.

Thanks for all the helpful advice guys.

I figure I will go with a higher end model as I do plan on putting in the work necessary to properly learn how to use the baitcaster. I guess budgeting and fishing don't always go the best together. Call it a pipe dream as I never cheap out on equipment.

The Quantum and Daiwa seem like good choices, but in all honesty I will most likely end up going with a Shimano. I've had nothing but good experiences with Shimano products in the past. Ya never know - perhaps I'll find a good sale on one of the other models, but thanks to you guys I have it narrowed down! I can't wait to get on the water and give it a shot.

@ Garry2Rs.

I fully-intend on getting a right-handed retrieve - I'm sure you're right on this one - it just seems more natural to me.

Also, pretty much everyone I've talked to has suggested running braid with whatever necessary leader. This seems like a good choice as well.

I've heard baitcasting is something you "never go back from" from pretty much everyone as well. I'm pretty excited about it.

Thanks again folks! The posts were extremely helpful.