Fat cats part deux!

Fisherpete

After seeing the pictures of my big kitties last Wednesday, my son begged me to go so he could catch his own... so on Saturday, out we went, with wifey and pooch along for the ride. :thumbsup_anim:

We started fishing in the early afternoon, and although it was sunny and 15C, the winds made it a bit chilly out there. There were a LOT of boats out there compared to Wednesday. We anchored in a good looking spot, and set up our lines. We saw a few cats being reeled in, and not long after, got into a nice one. Nick was shocked at the size and weight of a channel cat - he had previously only caught bullheads. The netting process was a bit of an adventure... :whistling: but she made it in into the boat!

c1.jpg

c2.jpg

We stayed at that spot for while longer, had a few nibbles, but it didn't produce any more fish. I moved to a spot that seemed really 'fishy', and set up shop once again... turned out to be a good move! We caught six more from this location, with one being a bruiser at 33" and just under 16 pounds! Nick got to reel in three... with one being a solid 8 pound fish. Wifey actually had the rod when the big one hit... but it was soon handed over to me after the lion refused to budge for her! (I have more faith in 50lb powerpro than she does... I just gave'er and hauled that big'ol cat up from the bottom!) I had picked up a couple 8ft Walker downrigger rods earlier in the day from Fishmasters place... and I have to say, they are absolutely perfect for catfishing. You really need that soft tip to properly watch the cats hit the bait... my musky rods were far too stiff when I brought them out a few weeks ago. Sorry for the white-outs in the pictures... but I am heading out again this week, and although probably no real secret, my spot was extremely easy to see in my pictures... I think there is still a 20 pounder waiting for me right there!

c3.jpg

c6.jpg

c7.jpg

c8.jpg

c5.jpg

c12.jpg

c10.jpg

c13.jpg

c14.jpg

c17.jpg

c16.jpg

On the way home, this not so shy deer also stood still long enough for me to snap a quick pic of her thru the windshield... pretty cool! Hmmm... wonder if deer like cut bait? Lol...

c15.jpg

Anyways, we had a great day out there... six hours fished, seven cats, and some purrfect memories that will last a lifetime. :)

people likely think you are crazy for whiting out your fishing pictures but I would bet money that deer is standing along hwy #54 in front of Ruthven by looking at your picture. I go by there every day on my way to work and there are always lots of deer standing around.