Imperial Switch Rods: St.Croix

Sharkbait22

I have an Imperial spey rod if that's what you're asking about. Broke a ferrule 4 months after I got it 3 years ago and took it in for warranty repairs.Turned out they had dropped that model from their lineup and it took me 8 months to get it back (repaired, thank you very much). They did give me a replacement to use after 4 months (an Avid). I may be mistaken but I think you're outta luck if you've got your heart set on an Imperial. Someone might have one in their old stock somewher tho'. Love the spey casting if I can find room. Most pinners don't realize how much water I can fish and sometimes guys will walk right into a patch I'm swinging through :) Shouldn't be a problem this year as I've got a boat and hope to net some kings this year.

d

Hey Sharkbait,

Anglers Pro Shop in Orangeville sells them. That rod has been getting good on-line and magazine reviews and I have 2 freinds using them now, both guys are also saying good things about them. The 6 and 7 weights have been the best sellers.

Graham

A Perfect Drift Guide Company

www.aperfectdrift.com

Edited by Graham

Very cool thread...I'm currently in the market myself for a switch rod. I no longer can cast single handers very long without aggravating my wrist (old injury). Good to know the St. Croix Imperial is a good performer and they're relatively inexpensive. At the moment I've got a Meiser switch at the top of the list to build but I'm always looking for alternatives.

Just wondering what kind of line systems you're planning on running with it (or for those who already own a switch - Skagit, Skandi, regular long belly fly line?)

Graham – Thanks for the tip. I’ll look into that soon.

MJL – No doubt the Meiser’s are top shelf but maybe in a few years. As for line systems: there is a St.Croix rep currently working on that. Being a switch rod I plan to use it for all sorts of situations, spey (Skagit), nymph and dryfly fishing. I’ve been fly fishing for 20 years but never spey. I’ve been patiently intrigued ever since I witnessed a buddy of mine hook-up on a steelhead in one of our great northern rivers. A classic moment. Looking forward to the pull. Also, I’m older now and flogging a 9wt for a couple of days does me in.

Fshrgy – Sorry about your luck. I’ve been pretty satisfied with their service (3 rods broke). They seem to be on par with most. I like their upgrade policy too. Maybe I'll upgrade when they bring out a Legend Ultra switch. Do you tape your ferrules? This seems to be common practice among spey fisherman.

Thanks for all your replies. I get the feeling that switch rods are going to become popular.

Hey Fshrgy,

Due to popular demand St. Croix re-introduced the imperial line up this year again and it's been getting great reviews. I have dealt with St. Croix for service many times in the past and they have been excellent with some rods being returned in less then 10 days.

Hey Sharkbait,

If those heavier rods are tiring you out, try a 10' 6wt.

I've been using 10 foot 6 weights for almost 20 years now. When I started fishing steelhead I was told I needed an 8 or 9 weight for steelhead and then I met a smart older fly angler that let me borrow his 10' 6wt steelhead rod and since that day I have never used an 8 or 9 weight again for steelhead or salmon. I've yet to find a steelhead in the great lakes that I could not handle on my 6 weights and have landed thousands of salmon up to almost 40lbs on 6 weight rods. It still surprises me that guys are still using 8 weights on rivers in Ontario. Other then the Niagara,Maitland and Saugeen most rivers fish well with single hand rods in the 6 and 7 weight rage and wont tire you or the fish out.

Cheers

Graham

Edited by Graham