fluorocarbon Vs the rest?

mattybculp

Hey there guys just a quick question im hoping to get opions on which you think is better fluorocarbon leaders or conventional metal leaders ? Im refering more so to two categories muskie/pike and bass/walleye ( so dont worry about trout or salmon etc). currently i run fluorocarbon leaders on my muskie and pike rods somewhere in the 100- 130 lbs test with appropriate snaps and swivels to correspond. im curious because in all honesty with how much technology in fishing line has evolved over the years with the braids etc im usually direct tying on my bass and walleye setups. This year im thinking of changing that and going with fluoro on the bass and walleye setups. Im wondering which you prefer out of the two for both categories. and with walleye and bass setups to you prefer direct ties to your braid with a double uni, or palmer. or do you prefer a swivel to connect them. and if so when your running say 12 - 15lbs braid what lbs test are you using for your fluorocarbon. Wow this was supposed to be a quick question but i couldnt stop any opions and personal experiences would be welcome. Thanks look forward to reading your replies.

Matt

Don't use Vanish as a leader for bass and walleye!

I have 20LB spiderwire braid to 8LB floro tied with a double uni knot.

I find when casting I like the leader but when trolling, no leader just heavy braid.

This will be the first year I'll be using Flouro for leaders. I've been using commercial wire or my own titanium leaders, but will do more finesse-type fishing this year, as opposed to my usual jerk bait habit. I'd tie direct for bass, but where I fish, you're as likely to catch a toothy critter as well, so I want to prevent bite-offs, and hopefully have something less-visible when using Senkos and the like. Looking forward to seeing how it works.

Hey there guys just a quick question im hoping to get opions on which you think is better fluorocarbon leaders or conventional metal leaders ? Im refering more so to two categories muskie/pike and bass/walleye ( so dont worry about trout or salmon etc). currently i run fluorocarbon leaders on my muskie and pike rods somewhere in the 100- 130 lbs test with appropriate snaps and swivels to correspond. im curious because in all honesty with how much technology in fishing line has evolved over the years with the braids etc im usually direct tying on my bass and walleye setups. This year im thinking of changing that and going with fluoro on the bass and walleye setups. Im wondering which you prefer out of the two for both categories. and with walleye and bass setups to you prefer direct ties to your braid with a double uni, or palmer. or do you prefer a swivel to connect them. and if so when your running say 12 - 15lbs braid what lbs test are you using for your fluorocarbon. Wow this was supposed to be a quick question but i couldnt stop any opions and personal experiences would be welcome. Thanks look forward to reading your replies.

Matt

When I first started using braid in lighter weights 30 lb or less I thought I would just tie it directly to spinnerbaits and crankbaits when fishing for bass. Little pike 20" in the same area where I was bass fishing just cut right through it like I was using sewing thread, so I switched to using floruo or using the remaining braid with a 20- 25 lb flouro leader. I like using a swivel at one end and a snap at the other for all the leaders just to help reduce line twists.

Edited by Syn

Last year I switched exclusively to Fluorocarbon leaders, and went the entire season without losing a fish to "bite-off". In the previous season I did learn that all fluorocarbon leaders are not created equal. I won't bad mouth any company, but will say that Seaguar Leader has not failed me yet. It may be expensive, but it my opinion worth it. I generally use 30lb for pike fishing leaders, and it even held up for this beautiful old girl last year.

Simon

MuskegoPikeSmall.JPG