Going to the Niagara for the first time

ball9320

I've been fishing steelies in the rivers now for four years yet have never taken my boat out on the river. I'm thinking about launching at Queenston sometime next week. I've read up on basics of the three way rig and watched some helpful episodes of Aaron and Barry's show yet would still like some advice for the current conditions. I'm mostly concerned with weather or not to get a NY state licence or weather the Ontario side is productive enough, and also which sections to focus on primarily keeping fast currents in mind. I have a 35hp lowe with a bowmount, any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

Agreed.....I only fish the Ontario side and to be safe I only fish downstreem from Queenston. The back drift right in front of the launch is nice but dont get caught sleeping twards the end of the drift, she will throw you right out into the main current which is filled with surging water and whirlpools. It gets scary in a smaller boat. Go Down stream half a mile and look for where the river narrows and you will find the drifts. The wider areas along the shore the water is pretty slack. Cruse up the shore line from the wider areas and youll drop right into the drift. Be carfull the shore line on the wider areas, they can get real shallow real fast. Good Luck

Water just hit 39 degrees and I don't have to say anymore. Pass on the 3 way and go for the slinky or drop weights. Bring assorted slinky weights. Bring streamers, ass't size roebags in all colors except blue, buy some minnows at Pete's Tackle in St. Catharines, singles in the 3 usual colors and a few Kwik's. US licence gets you into a very nice long and deep drift called the Artpark drift. Costs a little more this year but can be worth it if you fish the tribs in N.Y. and Summer for Coho's. Oh, pay attention to what "hawk-eye" said and write it down. Is very good info there.

Good Luck, Rob!

you can buy a 1 day new york licence for 15 bucks online or over the phone , online is better caus eyou get a print out over the phone they just give you a referance number ,

Make sure your bow mount is charged up , and when your done your drift motor out and around the drift to restart it ( i know common sense just trying to save you some grief) there is a map around somewhere that list all the drifts but i cant find it

watch out for logs and thing like that floating in the water this time of year tonnes of stuff getting washed down river i've seen car bumpers picnic tables , telephone poles , you name it drive with caution

i fished that river last year all winter long in a 14 ft aluminum with a 15hp on it you just have to be smart about it and youll be fine

any question you can pm i'd be happy to help ya out

Edited by Bondar

You have been given some great advice here. I will add that boat control, location and specific lure or bait choice and colour at certain times is the key to success.

I have written extensively on steelheading the Niagara available at gettinghooked.net via articles-trout.

Although it is great to read up, you can't replace time on the water. It took me many years fishing 2 to 3 times a week to consistently produce numbers of steelhead on the Niagara. I spent many fishless and low number days for years learning that river without much help.

What I'm trying to say is, don't be discouraged if you do poorly at first. It is common. You will do well armed with some knowledge, patience and willingness to experiment and learn.

Hiring a good guide will shorten your learning curve bigtime. I recommend Paul Castellano, he is good and knows his stuff.

Whether you hire a guide or try it on your own, I hope you get into some nice steelies.

Oh yeah, I always have both ON and NY licence to fish that river!

Good fishing!

Aaron