sportspal

trevy727

I'm thinking about picking up a 12' sportspal. Does anyone have any answers for me? Are they stabile? Can 2 people ride in one? Would this be a good canoe for a trip into the Algonquin interior? I have a canoe now but I would really like a lighter one. Thanks in advance for any info from anyone.

Trev a 12' Sportspal is good for one thing only: dinking around in small ponds and back lakes on day trips.

A 12' Sportspal is potentially the worst possible craft for a canoe trip in the interior.

Beyond the fact that it paddles like a garbage scow it's simply not big enough for 2 guys plus gear.

In my opinion for canoe tripping with 2 adults a 16' canoe is an absolute minimum.

Personally I prefer a 17' as it affords much more capacity and is generally more stable if you're talking 2 large guys.

I understand your desire for a lighter canoe.

Unfortunately your best bet will be a used kevlar of some kind and that's still a bit of coin.

It's an investment though as it'll last a lifetime potentially.

If kevlar isn't in your budget at the moment the next best thing imo would be a 17' lightweight Grumman aluminum.

They're actually quite light and are very sturdy.

Even today the old Grumman aluminums service many summer camps, outfitters and lodges in the north.

This is a question for Solopaddler:

Don't mean to go off topic but do you have an approximate weight estimation on the 16'/17' Grumman Aluminums?

Thanks

15' Lightweight Grumman is 55lb's

17' Lightweight Grumman is 60lb's

Bear in mind there is a vast difference in weight between the lightweight Grummans and the standard Grummans.