When does Old Mill get hot?

Mykester

Just walked the Humber today from Old Mill up to Scarlet road doing some scouting and saw six guys fishing, all clustered around the Old Mill bridge. One of the guys had 2 fish on a stringer but he was doing his best not to show the fish off so couldn't tell anything about them. Looked on the small side. The water was still pretty murky though.

Just moved to Toronto recently and was wondering, once the fishing starts to warm up, will I be able to find fish along any stretch of the Humber (from Old Mill to Eglinton) or is my only chance to get a bite will be to stand shoulder-to-shoulder with the other guys all fishing the same small stretch of the river?

Hey, thanks for your reply. I live near the Eglinton bridge and the best I have ever caught were creek chubs. I don't know how many fish actually get passed the dam, so the best fishing is by Old Mill (in my experience). In the summer the water levels are very very low and you can't really fish the Scarlett part until after rain. Right now there is a fish sanctuary from north of the Eglinton Bridge until the 2nd week of April if I'm not mistaken. Anything south is open all year.

Hey, thanks for your reply. I live near the Eglinton bridge and the best I have ever caught were creek chubs. I don't know how many fish actually get passed the dam, so the best fishing is by Old Mill (in my experience). In the summer the water levels are very very low and you can't really fish the Scarlett part until after rain. Right now there is a fish sanctuary from north of the Eglinton Bridge until the 2nd week of April if I'm not mistaken. Anything south is open all year.

I Did see a salmon/steelhead last spring when I was looking from the bridge.

Looking north from the bridge last summer.

http://imgur.com/1ikMu.jpg

Edited by Syn

From 25 meters South of the old Mill dam all the way North is a Sanctuary until the last Sat. in April if I'm not mistaken. You can only fish South of the dam for now.

Actually the regs say fishing sanctuary from north of highway 407

http://www.mnr.gov.on.ca/MNR_E001335.pdf

I Did see a salmon/steelhead last spring when I was looking from the bridge.

Looking north from the bridge last summer.

http://imgur.com/1ikMu.jpg

Did you notice the shack with a random fence surrounding nothing? Someone's growing a garden there, it's some spooky gypsy village.

http://www.mnr.gov.on.ca/MNR_E001335.pdf

Did you notice the shack with a random fence surrounding nothing? Someone's growing a garden there, it's some spooky gypsy village.

Take care when reading through the regulations. Read them thoroughly.

The year round section for the Humber is:

- Eglinton Ave down to Lake Ontario

The extended season stretch for the Humber allows anglers to fish between the 407 down to the Lake between the last Saturday in April to December 31

Anything north of the 407 is open between the last Saturday in April and Sept 30 (General trout season)

You are not allowed to fish 25 downstream of any dam or weir on the Humber at any time. There's about 5-6 of them in the lower Humber below Eglinton Ave

I recommend that everyone read the regs themselves and re-read them again. I'd never rely solely on someone else's ability to interpret them for me.

Take care when reading through the regulations. Read them thoroughly.

The year round section for the Humber is:

- Eglinton Ave down to Lake Ontario

The extended season stretch for the Humber allows anglers to fish between the 407 down to the Lake between the last Saturday in April to December 31

Anything north of the 407 is open between the last Saturday in April and Sept 30 (General trout season)

You are not allowed to fish 25 downstream of any dam or weir on the Humber at any time. There's about 5-6 of them in the lower Humber below Eglinton Ave

I recommend that everyone read the regs themselves and re-read them again. I'd never rely solely on someone else's ability to interpret them for me.

It's common knowledge that you can't fish within 25 m of a dam.

Wow... there's a change... I haven't fished there in 15 or more years but never knew that one... it's a bit misleading with the exception also saying Fall Extended season until Dec 31st. from Eglington to 407... does that mean it closes on Jan 1st? Also an exception from upstream of the 407... no fishing from Oct 1st to 4th Sat in April... why can't they define things a little better?

http://www.mnr.gov.o...MNR_E001335.pdf

There's 2 fenced off areas with huts now. The older one closer to the river is used by an oriental couple. They grow bean type things (fava beans???). Then in late summer I see them lay them out on a large tarp and dry them. The new area is used by what I think is two eastern European guys. I think this will be their first season of planting. Don't know if they are there illegally or renting from Crown.

Edited by Syn

It's common knowledge that you can't fish within 25 m of a dam.

I was referring more to your statement to JP about anything north of the 407 being a Sanctuary. It could mislead others to think that this is the case right now...It isn't...Anything north of Eglinton is a Sanctuary till the Last Saturday of April.

If you're new to fishing the Humber you'll be surprised how many people don't realize that fishing 25m below a dam is illegal throughout the year...Or they just plain ignore the fact.

I was referring more to your statement to JP about anything north of the 407 being a Sanctuary. It could mislead others to think that this is the case right now...It isn't...Anything north of Eglinton is a Sanctuary till the Last Saturday of April.

If you're new to fishing the Humber you'll be surprised how many people don't realize that fishing 25m below a dam is illegal throughout the year...Or they just plain ignore the fact.

Well I guess my first comment was right about north of Eglinton being a sanctuary, the regs actually got me confused (JP stated that north of Old Mill was a sanctuary).

I've also seen plenty of people a few years back standing right beside the dam at Etienne Brule fishing. Does Toronto not have any Conservation Officers?