This whole ice fishing thing

splashhopper

Well, I have given this ice fishing thing a fair amount of time and effort the last few weeks....

I gotta say,, it sure beats the heck out of watching in on Youtube :P

I was having some success at the local lake with bluegills and crappies etc... got a little bored with them after awhile though... but again... hey.. it's still fun getting them on the ultra light set ups.

The past three weekends, I have been able to get back up to Lake Huron and try for perch and rainbows.

One of the places was producing perch thru the ice... even "I" was catching my fair share.. .and i sure like eating em too.

So, I get my friend Dutchy all pumped up for some perch,,,, and damned if the coast guard didn't bust up the ice near where we were fishing, THE DAY BEFORE, and send the school back out to the deep water :wallbash:

After a day of NO FISH last weekend... and we FISHED HARD for 7- 8 hours... Dutchy says to me on the way home: " I think I will give it a rest till the end of March so I don;t get too frustrated".

Okaaayyy Dutchy... I say... knowing full well what a guy the size of an OGRE can do to a guy my size if I push him too much to keep on trying :w00t:

So, I went back up yesterday... just to get the heck out of the house and enjoy the sunshine and warm weather at the very least.

AS I am heading to the bait shop... I get a call from one of our friends up there,,,,, "perch are biting "...

I think of Dutchy... for a BRIEF Moment.... nope,, he said" END OF MARCH"... so off I go...

:whistling:

Well, as the my friend Rusty taught me a few years ago.. "if your line isn't in the water, you won't catch any fish".

I put the pickerel rig on and baited it up... dropped er down.. .and whammo.... double header of perch... dinks... but still fish.

A few minutes later one of our new fishing friends, out out for a two hour stroll, gets this whitefish>>

whitefish.jpg

It was non-stop perch action all day for everyone there.

Only one more whitey caught though.

I must have tossed 50-60 small ones back...

it became a game to see how many perch I could catch on one minnow :lol:

But at the end of the day, I brought home these for dinner tonight

perch.jpg

Too bad I had a previous appointment booked for this afternoon.. otherwise i would have tried twisting the ogres big arm one more time :blush: