Lake Nosbonsing

Steve_R

Hi all...l know its early but im just wondering if anyone ever stayed at Birch Hill Camp on Lake Nosbonsing we will be heading up there in June and again in Aug. And also whats the fishing like in that lake? is it a deep lake?

Thanks for your help.

Steve.

Welcome to the board...fished there once a few years ago, caught some nice bass. Have an uncle that lives in Astorville tells me some really nice musky are caught there every year. From what I've heard you really have to work for the walleyes.

Good luck, might take the new boat up there once this year myself.

A few buddies and I have ice-fished at Birch Hill a couple of times 5 or 6 years ago.

We had a great time, the cottages are first rate (the first year, the cottage we had for 4 of us was bigger than my house) and definitely would be considered "Dutch Clean". I know you'll be there summer time, but the ice huts were first class as well.

In winter time, the camp is run by Henry, the owner's son, (well, actually mostly by Henry's wife, lol). I don't know if he's around in the summer, but he's great guy, makes sure everyone has a blast.

We didn't learn the lake much, just fished where Henry had his huts, but I think there's a good variety of structure to the lake. We caught a few pike, a few pickeral and quite a few perch.

Have fun, it's a beautiful area.

I have fished Nosbonsing numerous times over the years. I stayed at Birch Hill Camp once many years ago in their tent house. I had no complaints with the camp.

IIRC one of the deepest areas on the lake (65' ?) is thru the middle of the bay that the camp is on.

In June if you hit the mayfly hatch fishing will be slow. Walleye will be well fed.

Here is a map of the bay the camp is on. Birch Hill is at the top left side of Maple Cove.

Nosbonsingmap.gif

And here is a map of the lake which I've marked some fishing area's on.

LakeNosbonsing.jpg

D = Dropoff - Good spot early morning or late evening.

P = Panfish - drift thru area dragging a worm.

SI = Sunken island - Good muskie area but see lots of fishing pressure.

HHHH = Hammerhandles - Lots of small pike in weeds. Minnow below a float get lots of action.

N = Narrows - Troll for walleye early morning or late evening.

A = Good area to troll for walleye over top of the weed beds.

Hope this helps.

Rick

Edited by Woodsman