advice on getting rid of glue behind tub surround liner

mr blizzard

irishfield I know u unfortunately could not make it to the derby this year but I look forward to meeting u next year. That is what the OFC is supposed to be about, people helping people. My 14 yr. old son and I have spent a lot of quality family time together this winter sitting side by side reviewing the postings of the OFC on the computer. :worthy::Gonefishing:

Home Renovator here..welcome to 2010 boys n girls..throw the cement board in the garbage.its heavy its nasty to cut and I wouldnt use it..Like everyone else says rip er down to the studs. Go get yourself some densshield or wonderboard and a Schluter shower or bathtub kit from home depot. http://www.schluter.com/6430.aspx follow the directions on thier website and I gaurentee you the best water tight shower that will last the rest of the life of the hiuse..BTW im a certified Schluter installer if you want to hire a pro!! The Schluter system will run you an extra 400 for a tub and up to $700 for a shower kit. Like I said if you follow the directions on the site it will never leak as long as the house stands. That will cut back on honey do list's of the future! The web site has tutorial video's on how to install. Just my opinion take from that what you will

Happy Renovating!

Bathtub Fitters did the surround in my old house. Top notch job and done in a day.

My honey do list says "get to work so you can pay people to do it right".

Good luck!

Jim

On another note, I am terribly sorry for your loss.

Bathtub Fitters did the surround in my old house. Top notch job and done in a day.

My honey do list says "get to work so you can pay people to do it right".

Good luck!

Jim

On another note, I am terribly sorry for your loss.

what did they charge you? I love it when Bath fitter is in a customers home before me..They make my job as a salesman soo easy..$4200 for a 3x3 shower..Pfft gimmie a break

what did they charge you? I love it when Bath fitter is in a customers home before me..They make my job as a salesman soo easy..$4200 for a 3x3 shower..Pfft gimmie a break

Why, yes, for my full size shower it was a qwadrillion bazzillion dollars, what a dummy I was <_<

If your sales technique is to make everyone that bought something from someone other than you sound like a moron, you are going to need more than bathtub fitters to bolster your sales.

The job that I had done was fantastic (as originally stated) and the price was very reasonable as I recall. I mean honestly, it was around 15 years ago but I remember being thrilled with the out come and the cost. I went to work and came home and it was done. Mind you, I have always been payed good money for good work and never begrudged returning in kind.

We'll check back with your customers in 15 years and see how they feel.

Jim

(okay, maybe I'm over reacting)

Why, yes, for my full size shower it was a qwadrillion bazzillion dollars, what a dummy I was <_<

If your sales technique is to make everyone that bought something from someone other than you sound like a moron, you are going to need more than bathtub fitters to bolster your sales.

The job that I had done was fantastic (as originally stated) and the price was very reasonable as I recall. I mean honestly, it was around 15 years ago but I remember being thrilled with the out come and the cost. I went to work and came home and it was done. Mind you, I have always been payed good money for good work and never begrudged returning in kind.

We'll check back with your customers in 15 years and see how they feel.

Jim

(okay, maybe I'm over reacting)

Not trying to make anyone look like a moron, sorry if you took it that way man..I have been self employed since High school. My work and satisfied customers speak for themselves. 25 yrs later and still no complaints. My sales technique's involve many years of skill and an amazing portfolio nothing more..I was just saying I love it when potential customers tell me on the phone (before estimate) that Bathfitter was just there..I know when I show them my smile, price , work and references its a sgood as sold. For what they offer the price is insane.

Edited by tb4me

I'm sorry but I couldn't resist this one. Tb4me I have been in the property management business for thirty years and I have hired a lot of contractors. Every once in a while I come across contractor gods like yourself. I learned many years ago to stay away from them. Enough time spent on this posting.

im just going to throw this out there for an option...If you choose to tear down to the studs ( which i would recommend) i would stay away from drywall /wonderboard around the area ....drywall in moist areas isnt a good idea regardless of their coverings......cement board is very solid but is expensive and a little harder to work with ...should you go with cement board just score and snap it ....dont try to cut it with power tools (wear safety glasses if you do)....

Dri-ply is basically plywood treated to withstand the conditions of the ever changing climate in a shower/tub area .....is solid to adhere to for a tub surround and supplies more then ample support.easy as plywood to work with and down the road when/if you decide to tile ...your base is already there ...its more expensive then drywall but not as expensive as cement board

Good Luck on your" Honey Do" list....if you have any questions feel free to PM me

i too am sorry for your loss

Edited by Twocoda

radnine you're not overreacting at all. excellent reply. if the guy isn't trying to say you're a moron for going with bathfitters than why quote you? i'm sure you could have taken a shot at bathfitters without quoting someone? i guess the thousands of bathfitter customers are all idiots for not going with some no name guy that might or not be around for warranty repair or have any insurance, or have a contractors lisence, or pay all his incometax, etc.

Do not use a wood base for tiling in bathrooms. You will get rotting wood in a couple years. I had it done twice ten years ago in two bathrooms and we had to remove all of the tile and wood as it absormed moisture through the grout lines. Yes of course the tiles were sealed several times. USE CEMENT BOARD. As for new products on the market such as denshield, it has not been time proven.

Further to my last post about plywood, if you are using it as backing for a surround, one of the most common reasons to replace a surround is due to it cracking, holes in it or water bleeding through the caulklines. Then it immediately begins to decay the wood for a couple years and then when you decide to remove the surround and tile are you really going to tile on wood that has been affected by mildew and rot?

:worthy::Gonefishing: Thanks again Irishfield, Moparhawk and guppy. Lots of ideas and we have been given lots of advice from the great members of the OFC. We truly appreciate it. There may be hope to squeak in a day of ice fishing yet. Cheers and tight lines to all.

Further to my last post about plywood, if you are using it as backing for a surround, one of the most common reasons to replace a surround is due to it cracking, holes in it or water bleeding through the caulklines. Then it immediately begins to decay the wood for a couple years and then when you decide to remove the surround and tile are you really going to tile on wood that has been affected by mildew and rot?

plytanium Dri - Ply......i stand behind my recommendation....i have two scrap pieces sitting out back that have been exposed to three years of midwestern ontario weather ...they look/ feel and are as structurally sound as the day i bought them..

furthermore...if you do choose to remove the PL and go from there ....a" multi tool" provides several different blades/scrapers that will literally cut the glue flush to the surface

Edited by Twocoda

Not to add fuel to the fire but my company does over a million in bath remodels every year and has for a long time so hopefully I have some credentials. Bath fitter has its place but I will say I can have my crews demo a shower/tub down to bare studs and subfloor and install a high quality shower from the Onyx Collection for an average of $800.00 less per bath. It takes two men two days. We elimate the mold we often find in the various substrates also replace damaged subfloors. I've always felt their cost of marketing and producing custom showers even when the majority are standard sizes adds greatly to their cost. When completed both are an upgrade from the origional thus meeting the ultimate goal.http://www.onyxcollection.com/

Lifetime warranties against mold and mildew are available by one of our suppliers on tiled walls and floors.

I personally prefer the Laticrete system because we are always called in for "Sick, Tired Ugly Grout" situations.

Grout failure and lack of upkeep on the caulking around the tub are a couple of the big reasons for water behind the tiles.

Whenever we do a makeover we will always suggest Laticrete epoxy grout for wet areas. No stains and less than .1% moisture absorption( the same as porcelain tiles ;).

By using a CERTIFIED installer with the Laticrete thin set and the Laticrete epoxy grouts, a lifetime warranty can be given. ( labour and materials)

We only install over cement board or dense shield.... why.. because we are comfortable with it and believe in the products.

We were also involved with filed testing in a workout facility where the Laticrete system was compared to the Schluter system... from install to ongoing maintenance by the gym staff.

Laticrete won hands down... ease of maintenance and installation was simpler and more cost effective.

I can and will install Schluter if specified... but cannot offer the lifetime warranty. (No matter what they say.)

Splashhopper