Big Bad Wolf

fishinfool

If my position isn't clear enough by now you're either just not listening or not very smart. Sorry man, but lets let this die. Am sure others on the board are tired of reading about it.

Dude...really?

I'm Not saying your in P3TA...

Just pointing out the similarity of their position vs. your stance.

Seriously Maybe I am dense...but your stance is not clear at all.

Muskie=Special live bait restrictions

All other fish= nuts

Wolves=Special protection

All other species= nuts

And all this because you think Wolves and Muskie are smarter then all other species?

Sorry dude but makes no sense at all to me.

I get that you obviously reeeeeely like Musky, and Wolves...

Everyone is entitled to their opinion,

Its just yours happens to be the same kind of opinion that got the spring bear hunt cancelled.

I guess I take exception to that.

Suggesting hunting be further restricted is just so backwards coming from a fellow sportsman to me, and gets under my skin a bit.

Sorry for the rant, and I'm truly not trying to be a jerk.

I guess I was hopeing for clarification, but its not going anywhere so....

Away we go.

This wolf was shot in Alberta, there was a brief article in one of the major hunting magazines but I can't recall which one.

As for the ethics of Wolf hunting... I moved to Northern BC last year, and have taken up hunting. From my perspective the majority of the wolf hunting is done for population control as opposed to trophy purposes. This I guess, could in-directly be seen as a meat hunt as you are helping the meat bearing (palatable) animals survive. Wolfs are rampant in the North, so much so that there have been numerous wolf bounties put in place over the past years. For example this year there has been a $250 bounty for turning in wolf skulls which were obtained legally. I don't believe this was through the MNR, but I imagine it would have been sanctioned by them.

I guess my point is that perspectives can change based on where you live and how much of a population you get to see/know, so don't judge before all the facts are gathered. I know if I saw this bruiser walking by, he'd end up with 180gr in the boiler room.

Just a quick point on the relative size of deer. As mammals live towards the northern part of their range their average size is larger and the population density is usually smaller. This is a rough interpertation of Bergam Rule.

Also on the relative size of predators, it stands to reason that wolves that prey mainly on moose need to be larger than those whose diet is comprised largely of deer. A mirror of this is observed in Tsavo, Africa where lions are much larger than those on the Savannah. Tsavo lions prey almost exclusivly on cape buffalo, and have evolved a larger size.

I've seen a few wolves that were the size of deer. 2 in particular last spring made me reassess my thoughts on the species. They were massive over 3' at the shoulder. We tried to guess their weight and a conservative estimate was 125-150lbs....if Dr Salvelinus is reading this, how big do you think??

Edited by troutologist