Tying your own leaders / Storing tied leaders

farsider

I just started tying my own quick-strike rigs for winter Pike. I was thinking I would try tying my Fluoro leaders for this years Muskies.

I was hoping someone could impart their wisdom in this area.

I have been using the Canoe/Canoeman Knot for the Quick-Strike rigs but it cinches down tight to the hook or swivel.

What is the preferred Knot for above 100lb Fluorocarbon that leaves a loop?

Any General do's/don'ts?

Terminal tackle preferences?

Also, I was wondering how everybody stored their backup tied leaders on the boat or while fishing or in the off-season.

The ones I have bought before come so coiled up initially, that they don't allow some of my baits to work properly. The trolling leaders and baits with high resistance obviously straighten out fairly fast on their own.

Does anybody store them straight at full length? Tight? Loose?

How do you store your Quick-Strike rigs?

Cheers,

Mark

You might want to consider crimping the fluoro rather than knotting it. If it's done properly with a double barrel sleeve it holds up great. A lot of guys also slip heat shrink tubing over the crimps to finish it off.

Here's a good tutorial on it that also shows the common mistakes made when crimping:

http://www.leadertec.com/tipsandtechniques...techniques.html

I tye leaders in 80 and 130 lb test using only the 'leader loop', then put a drop of super glue on the knot while it is under a bit of tension. Has never failed me and I can go all season and many musky on a single leader. Normally store one on each rod- in use of course. Carry more coiled in a CD wallet- mostly just for fun, or for friends that still use steel or wire. I have a small kit on board with floro, glue, cutters and a small torch for making more while on the water while trolling. I melt the tag ends of the knot so if it ever slipped, it would not get past the melted end- never ahd one slip yet. I have taken many 'ski up to and over the 50' mark, in the Kawarthas and Georgian Bay and never had a leader failure- will NEVER use wire again. I also find 130lb stiff enough for using with Jerk baits without tangling. I have considered using a welding rod tube to store leaders 'straight', would probably work as I usually only run a 12 to 14" leader.

Hey guys, a lot of good advice so far. Thanks.

Do you crimpers have a cup-to-cup crimper(nicely described in Mike's Link)? Or just a basic one?

Regarding the loop knot, I had heard that the weakest link in the setup is not the knot itself, but where the loop abrades the snap or swivel ring. Has anyone experienced this failure?

Also, good tip about the super glue.

Welding rod tube is a good idea for storage. All but my trolling leaders are under 18". I have been using a 3' trolling leader. I sort of had an idea for a slim, leader storage board similar to something the Euro Carping guys might use but, it hasn't evolved beyond the idea stage.

I was planning on making a small wooden case (think long matchbook case) for my quickstrike rigs to keep the line straight and the hooks at bay in my ice fishing bucket, I was just hoping to mine the vast ingenuity of OFC before settling on a design.

Cheers,

Mark

I have had no failures at the snap or swivel. I do check the floro for nocks or abrasion regularly, but like I said- I have fished a single 130lb leader for a complete season with no issues. I do throw an extra 'granny knot in the loop to locate the snap/swivel in the centre of the loop= may help with the issue you described.