New Handheld GPS

darsky

Bought a new GPS from Cabelas. Never had one or used one before so I went with something relatively simple, affordale and most importantly-something thats for what I need it for.......fishing. Price was 124.99 plus 12.00 shipping comes to 157.50 CAD. Checked here locally and was being offered for 199tx = 226.75

Pretty great deal I think. Says it comes with built in background map of continental US & Hawaii. What should I need to have that for Canada ? I have a lot to learn.

Bought a new GPS from Cabelas. Never had one or used one before so I went with something relatively simple, affordale and most importantly-something thats for what I need it for.......fishing. Price was 124.99 plus 12.00 shipping comes to 157.50 CAD. Checked here locally and was being offered for 199tx = 226.75

Pretty great deal I think. Says it comes with built in background map of continental US & Hawaii. What should I need to have that for Canada ? I have a lot to learn.

I looked at this GPS a few weeks ago at BPS in Vauhan Mills, if I remember correctly the unit came with a pretty good background map of canada as well as the US, even though it only states that it comes with the continental US.

If it doesnt you will need to buy a further map chip (memory card with the map preloaded) or a cd so you can load them onto your own. I dont think that they are cheap thought! Anywhere from $100 to $300 depending on what level of maps you want.

Have had a Garmin for 5 years - etrex - then got the new Lowrance 250 - only unit on the market that does Marine Navtronic chip (got eastern great lakes - awesome detail - snags - rocks - bouys etc) and als turn by turn hiway - great unit

$$$$$$

If you use GPS - then check out

www.geocaching.com

Great hobby also

Edited by The BARE!!!

I recently purchased the Lowrance H2O unit. Have been through the manual and getting familiar with the MENUs that are on the unit. Have not have the opportunity to put it into action yet. As I do most of my serious fishing in Ontario. I purchase MapCreate 6 Canada Topo version. Here in the states, it was around $100.00 Us with postage and such. I loaded all the CDs onto my home computer and have been playing around making a few maps for use this coming summer. So far, creating and downloading maps onto the MMC are pretty easy. I had purchased two 512mg cards, one for Canadian maps and another for US maps (if I ever get the software). When I purchased MapCreate, I actually ordered the kit, so the card reader with a USB port came with it. MapCreate will only allow you to register 5 different cards. I know some folks that have this unit are using the 1 Gig card. The manual that came with the CDs indicated cards up to 512 have been tested and work fine, but that may have been before the 1 Gig cards come out. Since you are only allowed to register 5 cards, if you purchase a set like this, make sure you get large enough MMC cards to keep you going. I've heard a lot of good things about this unit and I'm anxious to get out there and see what all it can do. The Lakair GTG may be my first trip with it.