Spring Trout Fishing

maximj

Hi,

I know this may be a little early but I am looking to do some trout fishing in Algonquin Park this spring. I have never done this and was wondering if anyone was willing to share any lakes or areas that are especially good in early May? I will be coming in through Huntsville to give you an idea of which end of the park I will be in. Any advice anyone has would be appreciated as well.

Thanks.

I like to take a canoe or an inflatable to Canisbay Lake. Easy to access, no portage needed. The lake is small enough to cover in a single day. No big ones though, most lakers I have caught are between 1 to 2 pounds, with a few 3-pounders. But it's a lot of fun when you use light tackle. Trolling along the deep edge using 3-way setup should work well in the spring. I also had some luck on one hot August day by catching more than 10 lakers in one morning just casting a spinner. There are also some smallmouth in the lake, but not that many.

People will probably be pretty tighted lipped about their favorite lakes to fish in algonquin. I suggest trying a search here or myccr.com and probably best to pick up the backroads map book of algonquin it has lots of info each lake and fish quality. Also look at old stocking reports from the MNR. From my experience, the longer the portage and the more off the beaten track the better the fishing is.

Thanks guys! I am just trying to collect as much as I can right now to hopefully have as successful and enjoyable trip as possible. This is a great start.

torco: I did not even know about myccr.com. Thanks, I have greatly enjoyed canoeing and portaging the last few years and this site will only add to my enjoyment.

Thanks guys! I am just trying to collect as much as I can right now to hopefully have as successful and enjoyable trip as possible. This is a great start.

torco: I did not even know about myccr.com. Thanks, I have greatly enjoyed canoeing and portaging the last few years and this site will only add to my enjoyment.

No problem, I'm in the same boat what a help that website has been with trip planning. The forum is full of helpful people.

• 2 weeks later...

Check out:

http://www.algonquinpark.on.ca/nature/fish.html

This website has lots of good information on Algonquin Park. There is also a link to the 2009 fishing survey results. It should give you a good idea of some of the 'popular' lakes that should produce fish.

I've done several trips into the park over the past few summers, always accessing from Opeongo and heading in through Happy Isle, merchant and into Big Trout. Trolling deep with spoons has always worked this time of the year. I had some success with Mepps spinners last spring in the second week of May, but not nearly as much as others I talked to were having. The fishing should be fast and furious during May though, so best of luck.

Anyone offer any other favourite presentations/techniques for spring lakers/specs in the Park?