Anyone got a fishing report for Sturgeon Lake?

dropaline

Hey everyone,

I am just wondering if anyone has fished on Sturgeon Lake for perch yet this ice season. I am wondering this because I have a good friend that just moved onto the lake this past summer and he has asked me if I would want to go ice fishing when Im on break from college. With out thinking about the fact that I do not know the lake at all too well (as to where to find the fish), I said yes.

So if anyone could help me out that would be great. I'm not asking for your special spot, I am just asking for hints on where to go on the lake for them.

I have put some thought into it to but not sure if the spot would work or not, the part of the lake by Ken Reid Conservation Area? I have heard that it is good for bass during the summer and was just wondering if there is anyone out there that could point me in the right direction?

Dropaline

I haven't fished back in there myself this winter but a friend that has a hut moved it back into that area about two weeks ago, he pulled it back out Friday night, they had caught only a hand full of perch in several days fishing. Where is your friends place located? Sturgeon Lake covers a lot of area.

As for "is anyone catching?" Well, I have drilled easily 100 holes looking for the perch and crappie with very few perch and no crappie caught to date and I have covered a lot of different areas. I know they are in here but I don't know of anyone that has found them yet in any numbers. Actually I don't personally know of anyone that has caught a crappie here this winter.

If you do go back into that area, stay away from the river, they were letting a lot of water through the dam and I am not sure how safe the ice would be where there is any current.

I'm not sure about sturgeon lake as I fish it occasionally during the open water season. We have been finding good perch, some sunfish and recently crappie in about 5-6 feet of water late in the day until well into the dark. Weed flats that have open spots seem to be working. Seems to me the flats around Mink islands would fit this mould but I have not tried them through the ice. (yet)

Good luck and if you do find them remember to post your results but not your exact spot.