Algonquin - Just Booked

ADB

Hello OFC,

I'm excited to say that I just booked my trip to Algonquin for this spring.

Two buddies and I will be going May 2nd-May 7th. We'll be doing the Opeongo-Lavielle loop with the hopes of connecting with some beauty specks and lakers. We'll be staying at Big Crow the first night and at Lavielle for the remaining nights.

It should be a great time as its the most intense trek I've done, so it should be the most rewarding.

I've searched the forum and found some helpful tips from previous posts so I'll be sure to keep them in mind.

I'll be sure to post a full report!

I have heard there have been issues booking back country this year as Ontario Parks changed service providers. Any issues?

No big issues really...it just took a few tries to get them to answer the phone.

The only thing that was weird was that they reserved the the trip for me, but it won't be 'officially' booked until a later date.

Edited by ADB

I "think" there used to be a rule that stated you could make reservations no more then 3 months in advance.

So that means normally you'd need to wait until Feb 2nd to make your reservation.

Perhaps thats why its not booked just yet?

Just a guess?

But If I were you I'd keep on them until its booked and ensure you have a paper copy reciept of payment and confirmation number just incase.

I've not had any issues but have heard of a few lost or doubled reservations.

Cheers,

I'll be there then too, but just hangin' out on the big lake. Drop in if you see a coupla deepV lunds parked and say Howdy. Likely spots are Eric's island and a couple of north arm north shore spots near Proulx portage.

We did breakfast for an additional dozen last spring when it was too rough for the taxis.

I "think" there used to be a rule that stated you could make reservations no more then 3 months in advance.

So that means normally you'd need to wait until Feb 2nd to make your reservation.

Perhaps thats why its not booked just yet?

Just a guess?

But If I were you I'd keep on them until its booked and ensure you have a paper copy reciept of payment and confirmation number just incase.

I've not had any issues but have heard of a few lost or doubled reservations.

Cheers,

I think these days it is actually 5 months - but I could be wrong.

She did give me a confirmation number, and said someone would be phoning around the end of this month to put the payment through.

I'll be there then too, but just hangin' out on the big lake. Drop in if you see a coupla deepV lunds parked and say Howdy. Likely spots are Eric's island and a couple of north arm north shore spots near Proulx portage.

We did breakfast for an additional dozen last spring when it was too rough for the taxis.

Thanks douG...I'll keep that in mind.

Interesting. Kind of makes you wonder about this new company in charge. I am not planning to book anything this coming summer but have to say I had no trouble with the prior service provider. Hopefully they work out the kinks soon, July and August are big months to book trips.

May 2nd, hope the ice is out! I am envious, I did a bi trip about a week later than that a couple of years ago launching from canoe lake. Caught some nice lakers, no bugs and it was surprisingly warm.

I hope it is too lol. We actually wanted to go a week earlier, but we decided to give things a bit more time to thaw.

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

this is an excellent time to get out (and put tackle in front of the specks before the masses)...

i do a similar trip in my area each year around the first of may and the ice is generally out.

while sometimes sluggish, we found that we had some of our best fishing in those early days of may.

we found the fish incredibly shallow...either right in the downed trees of shorelines of steeper shorelines or in shallow backbays... anywhere that things are a little bit warmer. it's the one time of year i spend most of my time casting as well. as may and june roll on, i'll generally troll with a slow rolling, tight action spoon but in spring it's spinners all the way. black fury's are my favourite but panther martins and a variety of small bucktails all produce. sounds like an awesome trip. show us pictures of the huge fish you catch!

I'll be in the park around that time as well. We go in access point #1. I believe it's called round lake right near south river. My buddy and I trek over 30 Kilometers into the back country and the specs are big and plenty. I'm hoping to catch my pb this year. I have to beat 26" 5.9lbs. If I don't get it in the park, hopefully I'll get it in superior park near mid may.

this is an excellent time to get out (and put tackle in front of the specks before the masses)...

i do a similar trip in my area each year around the first of may and the ice is generally out.

while sometimes sluggish, we found that we had some of our best fishing in those early days of may.

we found the fish incredibly shallow...either right in the downed trees of shorelines of steeper shorelines or in shallow backbays... anywhere that things are a little bit warmer. it's the one time of year i spend most of my time casting as well. as may and june roll on, i'll generally troll with a slow rolling, tight action spoon but in spring it's spinners all the way. black fury's are my favourite but panther martins and a variety of small bucktails all produce. sounds like an awesome trip. show us pictures of the huge fish you catch!

Thanks for the tips, Dr.

I'll be in the park around that time as well. We go in access point #1. I believe it's called round lake right near south river. My buddy and I trek over 30 Kilometers into the back country and the specs are big and plenty. I'm hoping to catch my pb this year. I have to beat 26" 5.9lbs. If I don't get it in the park, hopefully I'll get it in superior park near mid may.

Sounds encouraging!

I looks like the booking system is getting sorted.

I received a phone call a bit ago from a very nice lady who confirmed our reservation, took payment, and gave me a confirmation number. All very quick and painless.

Good to go.

Dan

Good to hear. Thanks, Dan.