MOTOR MAINTENANCE

BITEME

Report for Johnson motor.

Best thing I can Reccomend is to get an actual shop manual for the unit you own usually under 100.00 the best invwestment for your motor you can make add it into the price of your motor when you sell it

Disclaimer:

I am not a small engine mechanic and only offer the following as what I did to the motor. This was for my own enjoyment as a mechanical hobbyist and should not be used as a replacement for a Johnson Manual or on the advice of you own local Johnson Marine Technician.

I recently acquired a 1971 9.5 hp Johnson out board. I had actually had another one of these in the past and I have to say one of the most forgiving, reliable and bullet proof motors to grace the back of one of many boats I have owned. Anyway on with the program. Now I’m sure there are other’s that will have varying opinions on the way I have done this, well I have got by to this point I’m always open to suggestions though. So go easy because this kind of stuff definitely is not in my job description . and is only sharing knowledge is power here’s to more knowledge.

Here we go

This is a picture of the top end of the motor with the bonnet removed first thing to do is look for excessive amounts of fluid black scorch marks or anything else unusual

IMG_00372.jpg

This next picture is of the fuel pump, as you can see it has issues, upon removal and further inspection it was discovered thta the inner gaskets and diaphrams were over do and past life expectency. I truly believe unless you are the previous individual to have worked on something and know the history if you pull it apart change it, this is especially important for pressure and vaccum sensetive surfaces and parts

IMG_00381.jpg

This next picture is down the throat of the carburator and can tell many tales. Look for discoloration and any kind of build ups. If you are a first timer I do not recomend you take a carb apart unless you are confident in your abilities. I will show no picture inside the carb as this motor was running and shows nothing out of the ordinary. Fuel in the floats was clear and not smelling of old shelac.

IMG_00392.jpg

The next bunch of pictures are different areas of the motor look for leaks discoloration (burnt areas)and anything that is out of the ordinary I know what you are thinking what the hell do I know what im looking for Instincts will guide you and you confidence will build over time

IMG_00512.jpg

IMG_0052.jpg

Okay have to take a break for now but we will continue later im posting this because its to much work and i dont know how to save it stand by for part 2

Peter

Any suggestions would help for part 2

Peter

Edited by BITEME.Esq

nice... where did you get the manual for that motor? I have what looks to be the same, or very similar motor on the back of my 12' tinny. Mine is from 64 or 65 though. I gotta go through it and do some work this summer, lower unit seals/water pump and what i think is going to be some carb work.

looking forward to pt 2!

Also.. Go Bronte!!!!!