cape coral florida

mudddtoy

not sure if anybody on this board is in the area but looking to do some fishin, I will be there from the 4 to the 14 of feb, did some shore and pier fishing there two years ago with no real success, was looking into some charters but at 350.00 for four hours I,m not going to shell out that kind of money for a chance that you wont even catch anything,,if somebody has any info on good shore fishing spots or cheaper charters that would be great,would love to try for snook ,snapper ,trout, or cuda,would even go for tarpon,, i did alot of searching but didnt come up with alot of info, Matlacha seems to be a good area but all i got there was blow fish and rays, the rays are fun but not what i want, i,m an avid steel hunter so looking for that kind of fight, any info would be great thanx Dan

Dan... have no idea on the charters.. the fishing or what not... but my father-in-law lives there in the winter on one of the gated canal system subdivisons (or what ever you want to call them) and is probably bored stiff considering how much he's pestering for me to appear down there. He probably hasn't got a clue when it comes to fishing for anything in the sea... but he does have a boat at the dock in his back yard and you could possible make an adventure out of it!!

He's Dutch...69 years old.. somewhat arrogant (in a funny way).. acts like he's 25 most the time.. rides a 1200 bike.. drinks Bacardi... if you can handle most of that I'll see if he's interested !!

Try the head/party boats, lots cheaper than the charters... but lots more people too, but it is fun and you can catch some good fish if you pay attention to what other people are doing... but!... Grouper and Snapper are OOS right now.

Another venue is night fishing around piers and bridges with lights, the Snook and Tarpon really turn on at night! Drive around and look for canals with access and then fish them at night, early eve, or early morning!

You're not that far from "Alligator Alley" with it's many side roads, canals, huge Bass, Alligators, huge Pythons, and Anacondas!!!

There's also the Tamiami trail with the ditch on both sides, you'd be amazed at the fish that come out of those ditches!!!

not sure if anybody on this board is in the area but looking to do some fishin, I will be there from the 4 to the 14 of feb, did some shore and pier fishing there two years ago with no real success, was looking into some charters but at 350.00 for four hours I,m not going to shell out that kind of money for a chance that you wont even catch anything,,if somebody has any info on good shore fishing spots or cheaper charters that would be great,would love to try for snook ,snapper ,trout, or cuda,would even go for tarpon,, i did alot of searching but didnt come up with alot of info, Matlacha seems to be a good area but all i got there was blow fish and rays, the rays are fun but not what i want, i,m an avid steel hunter so looking for that kind of fight, any info would be great thanx Dan

Not the best time of year to be fishing down there....we usually stay out on the islands (captiva and North Captiva) and fish the passes. lots of fun. Gag grouper on the outgoing tides. a 30"er will feel like you have hooked into a 20lb fish and great eating too. We have stayed in cape coral before and fished the caloosahatchee (sp?) caught a couple of lady fish, snapper and too small grouper. Not much of a chance of getting a tarpon this time of year. we bring our boat down with us so we usually head to the passes and the bridge pilings. tons of dolphins. not sure if I can help with much but feel free to pm me with any questions about the area. If you are mobile head over to sanibel island, ther is a bar there called the Lazy Flamingo right accross the street they recently opened an old pass and the nutrients now entering that part of the gulf from the stirred up sound are attracting all sorts of goodies. if i was shore fishing thats where i would be. something along the lines of an old fashion pickerel rig with a couple of shrimp and you are good to go.

I think trout is out of season right now, may want to check fl regs...

good luck!

Lots of inland waterway along by Ft.Myers Beach. Rent a kayak and explore there. And what about the Ding Darling Reserve on Sanibel? I'm sure I've seen guys shorefishing in there. Just gotta watch for gators along the shore. Lots of crabs for bait though. I wonder if the Peacock bass make it up there. I know they're around on the Miami side.

JF

I guess you're not interested... I'll tell him not to worry about it. :wallbash:

I would have been on that like a fat kid on a smartie !

thanx for the offer , been busy so not thinkin about florida but now gettin closer so need to get on it,a friend of a friend is hookin me up with sea kayaks and some places to go, sanibel area seems to be the place to try so going with that, and the wife says this trip isnt all about fishin lol , but will be out every mornin before she gets outa bed, thanx for the offer and info,,,, cant wait, Dan