Gouin Reservoir, PQ

lhousesoccer

Yes fished this in May 2007 went to ceasars lodge - outpost fishing. We had a good time fishing was pretty good. Loads of them on topwater - it was hard with a great deal of others. Have a good time

Topo Map quebec 32B-11

Previous Thread http://www.ofncommunity.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=16506

Edited by cowanjo

The Gouin has been my summer obsession for the past 29 years. It's a huge body of water and each area has its own character. First off; where are you planning to go?

From what I understand, the place that my friend has access to is on the north shore near the native village of Obedjiwan.

I don't know what that means in terms of fishing, but any advice would be appreciated. I'm looking for some big northerns. What lures would you recommend?

Obedjiwan sits in a very key area of the reservoir. The locals do net in allocated areas and these nets are primarily to the southeast of the village around the many islands that dot that area. The nets are set off the shoreline and only extend about 25 - 30 feet in length. It is not an area overly popular with recreational fishermen because the outfitters are in bays 10 Kms or more to the south.

Depending on the exact location of your camp ( send me a PM with Lat / Long ) I can narrow the better spots down for you but generally the good pike action will be directly relative to you making contact with larger pods of walleye. Pike will stay overtop these pods or off to the side depending upon depth. I've never found it necessary to use any specific lure - just generally keep my bait wet and the pike find it.

My experience over the years has me using harnesses and crankbaits that pattern walleye, perch and fallfish so dark green, fire tiger and black/silver is my goto color basic.

Early in the season pike are high in the water column and as the season progresses they move deeper and move back up again mid August. Depth will range from 5' down to 25' and back up again.

The water levels have been abnormally high for the past couple of years and there has been much more area to cover - 40"+ catches were a daily occurance. I expect the level to be lower this year (not as much snow run off) and if that is so the fishing can be concentrated in tighter areas but you wll be into smaller fish. The bigger fish will gorge themselves on the easier prey and you really have to be lucky and be there when the feedbag is on.

Bill

Bill - great info. Really appreciated. I'll get the lat/long from my buddy and PM you. Thanks for the tips on rods too. I have some muskie rod/reel combos with braid, and some heavy and med-heavy baitcasting bass combos with braid too. I'm assuming either should work for the pike up there. Maybe the muskie stuff is a little much?

I'm a walleye guy and don't really use any rods that are especially heavy. A die hard fan of Shimano gear a 6'6" med/heavy is generally in use and quite well suited to bigger pike fighting. Teamed up with a quality bait caster spooled with 20/8 fireline gets the job done. Set your drag to compensate and be prepared to chase a fish if necessary.

Be sure to have a big net!!!!!!

Best pike to date came in at 37#s.

Had a monster on last summer that made a run sideways from the boat about 100', added a bit of thumb pressure to slow it down and the clip opened up - lure & fish bye-bye - that incident haunts me. It was a bigun.

Edited by McQ