Jan 16/10 Long Reach Report

superdad

Several campers from Bayview Resort gathered Friday night for some ice fishing on Saturday and Superdad tagged along Saturday morning. The plan was to fish over in Long Reach close to the Huff Road access.

We met on the ice and began drilling holes in the thin ice - at first I had 6-7 inches and then we headed north, looking for different depths, as we moved towards the deeper water the ice thinned out considerably.

I was fishing ove perhaps 3-4 inches and thought of moving towards the middle and some deeper water, as I slide out approx 50 feet from my hole, I noticed a patch of black ice and thought it was unusual???? I shoved my auger over and touched it, IT WAS OPEN WATER..... Best stay away from there.

We had fished over a couple hours and Miss Helen yelled from the fish hut that she had a fish on!!!! "I don't think its a walleye, she says"and promptly lands a really nice whitefish (Bigger than they caught on Simcoe on Fish N Canada as seen earlier that day). I ran and grabbed the camera and quickly took a shot of Syracuse Johnny holding the fish prior to its release.

0116A_JohnnyandWhitefish.jpg

We continued fishing and at 1130, my rod dipped and i was able to give the heartening sound of "Fish ON", by the time JOhnny got to my hole, the walleye was on the ice. My first fish of 20101!!!!!!

0116C_Superdads1stFishof2010.jpg

It was a nice fish for the table tipping the scales at 3.25lbs.

I packed it in at 1515 and headed for home.

COMMENTS on THE ICE:

The ice was scary, walking out the black ice had large chunks of ice frozen in it. It made the walk unnerving.... The proximity of open water was another item to beware of. The currrent was present most of the day and I'm sure it's the reason for the poor quality of the ice.

The ice report from the Shermans Pt Red marker was better than up Long Reach - Guess we might give Hay Bay a try on Monday.

Stay Tuned

David aka Superdad