NF- Puppy advice

Mike Colaneri

Morning Folks,

Well my wife and I have been kicking around the idea of getting a puppy. We've been thinking about this for quite some time, nearly 4 months of researching. I think we've settled on a German Shorthaired Pointer as this breed is apparently great with kids and are great hunters, (I hunt as well). Anyone have any experience with this breed? Is there anything we should be on the "look out" for?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

May I introduce to you Katiebow's AndyAKC, CKC FDJ, FD, NAVHDA NA, UT & Canadian show champion.

gallery_415_187_15735.jpg

Andy picked me when he was just 7 weeks old, taught me how to get his first field tile by the time he was five months old and had compleated all his other titles by the time he was two. Yes, they are a very smart breed!

They are very social dogs and do best if you let them be part of your family. They don't do well left alone in a kennel tied up in the back yard.

They are a very active dog and need a lot of love and attention, be prepaired to spend some time with them every day. They love to train because they love to please! Do you have room for it to run and get a lot of exercise?

They are excellent with children!

What to watch out for. Well be very careful in selecting a pup, make sure you know the blood lines and can get a copy of both the sire and rabid dogs pedigree. If you think you have it narrowed down and would like me to review them for you, I would be happy to do that.

Be prepaired to join NAVHDA and take advantage of all the training that they offer for both you and the dog.

Andy is 10 years old now and starting to slow down a little (but he'd hunt until he droped if I would let him). I could spend an hour or more telling you all the things he has done that have amazed myself and my friendsbut you will soon have your own book of stories but remember, you will only get out of your dog, what you put into it.

If you would like to come and visit him and talk somemore about the breed, I know he'd love the company (he thinks everyone that comes here comes just to see him LOL). Give me a call (I'm his secretary) 705-328-0750, I'd be happy to help you in any way I can!

Well, to start with, here is a link to the Ottawa chapter of NAVHDA.

Contact them and find out when their meetings are then get out and meet some of their people, they should be able to give you a heads up on who you can trust or not. Even then do not jump at the first opportunity to get a pup let your head rule here instead of your heart. There will be lots of time for loving down the road.

Ottawa Chapter of NAVHDA.

Don't stop there, Check with the CKC

CKC

If a breeder isn't registered with them then be cautious. Even then, I have come across breeders who were or claimed to be registered CKC but when you started to ask about paperwork they always had some excuse. You are making a long term investment here just be sure you are getting your moneys worth.

If you are interested in a breeder then find out who the sire and carp are for that litter and do some research on them and their blood lines, you want to know if there is any history of health problems (a reputable breeder won't be breeding if there are health problems). Get out and see some of their dogs actually working, find out how other pups from previous litters have done.

Andy turned out to be an exceptional dog but it wasn't by accident, I spent almost a year looking for reading about and asking questions to be sure off what I wanted and then had to wait for him to be born. I ended up driving to McHenery IL, in a blizzard to get him but it was all worth it.

As you start to gather information let me know what you have found out and I will do my best to help you evaluate it.

lastly let me talk to a breeder I know, she called me just before Christmas because she had a carp she wanted to breed with Andy. I wasn't interested at the time but let me see who the carp is and when she is expected to come into heat. I have only allowed Andy to be used for stud twice because I am VERY selective but if the carp is good enough I might consider it. I'll see but no promisses OK.

Lastly if you found a breeder with a VERY good carp I MIGHT consider allowing Andy to sire one more litter, most breeders would be happy to do that breeding, Andy's father was Shooting Star's Sharp Shooter and his mom was Grouse Vom Riverwoods both very well known GSPs.

I'll have to do some thinking on it!

keep me posted!

Edited by Big Cliff

Being a Vizsla owner, I have to warn you that when they dock the GSP's tail they are really cutting off the best part of those dogs. :D I'm kidding of course, they are great dogs. Just be prepared for a high energy dog, and like Cliff mentioned check out your local NAVHDA chapter. The Ottawa chapter actually looks quite good, I considered joining them and making the 4 hr drive to go to the monthly training days. The breeder I got my vizsla from actually breeds GSP's, its a couple hours drive from Ottawa, but she is a great woman to deal with.

Looks like she helped with a litter of GSP's that should be available now.

http://www.pointblankdogs.com/Our_World/Ab...ailability.html

Just to add to what Cliff said about hunting till they drop. That is not an exageration. These kind of dogs have more hunt than common sense sometimes. They will keep hunting/running till they drop, not till they get tired. You have to be carefull in the summer when you are doing training.

Edited by verno