Nipissing

Thrasher

A buddy and I spent 24 hrs on Callander Bay last weekend, only had 2 walleye to show,( one of which was 7.2lbs) but managed 3 pike, countless perch and a dozen or so ling and mudpuppies.

The lakes been hot and cold depending on who you're talking to. For the most part everyone's catching tons of perch, and some are doing well for walleye, but most are having the same type of fishing. Only landing a few walleye per outing. White, and orange seem to be amongst the popular colours. Other than the odd guy, most of who I've talked to/heard about, who've had "better" walleye fishing, has been in deeper water 30' +/-. Good Luck!

Thrasher

Nipissing walleye go through highs and lows, the last few years have been a bit of low for ice fishers, but nothing wrong witha mess of nip perchies, in fact I'd rather get into a bunch of sweet nip perchies then a trying to get a few slot-size walleye. A few years ago we were getting lots of eyes and very few perch hence the 25 perch limit and there was lots of worry about nip perch, good to see them back and ya the eye's will return in 30 yrs of fishing this lake I've seen up's and downs. It may be like the lake Ontario perch I chase there on a cycle and we're on the bottom of the cycle 2yr's ago we were on the top of the cycle.Anyway nothing wrong with a good feed of nip perch, there probably close to the best tasting perch if not the best tasting freshwater fish in North America, I'd put a Nipissing Perch against any freshwater fish in North America for taste

I've had a shack on south shore and callander bay for the past 11 years and spent countless hours and over nights on the lake. For the most part I agree with the perch theory. If there's huge numbers of perch, walleye aren't around. If it's been dead, then you start running into the odd perch in the afternoon, chances of a good night bite are high. Most of the perch were small, a few worth keeping, and they are tastey!! When there's perch are hot under my shack, I set a big pike line, as they aren't far... So far it's been better than last year's ice season, but no where near previous years. I too was wondering about being at or near a cyclical low. Summer fishing has been VERY good the past few years, maybe cyclical, maybe just getting to know it better, but great either way. I'm gonna try to get up there again this weekend. I'll continue with updates as i get them.

Giving the usual spot another try, but will likely move our shack on C-Bay before long..... We'll find em!

tight lines,

Thrasher

One theory I heard this past summer...

A sharp rise in the smelt population in Nipissing is changing the dynamics. The idea is that the walleye are feasting on the smelt and leaving the perch alone.. thus allowing the perch population to increase rapidly...

This is leading to more and larger walleye on Nipissing.

Smelt is also wonderful forage for pike and I hear rumours of very large pike being caught in the big waters.

the capt.

Nipissing walleye go through highs and lows, the last few years have been a bit of low for ice fishers, but nothing wrong witha mess of nip perchies, in fact I'd rather get into a bunch of sweet nip perchies then a trying to get a few slot-size walleye. A few years ago we were getting lots of eyes and very few perch hence the 25 perch limit and there was lots of worry about nip perch, good to see them back and ya the eye's will return in 30 yrs of fishing this lake I've seen up's and downs. It may be like the lake Ontario perch I chase there on a cycle and we're on the bottom of the cycle 2yr's ago we were on the top of the cycle.Anyway nothing wrong with a good feed of nip perch, there probably close to the best tasting perch if not the best tasting freshwater fish in North America, I'd put a Nipissing Perch against any freshwater fish in North America for taste

I think you just like saying "Nip Perch"