Guelph Ice Fishing

torco

Hi All,

I am finally all set to do some ice fishing and would like to give Guelph Lake a try. Anyone have any recent ice conditions?

I went the grand river website but they didn't have any info. In fact they don't have any info on Guelph Lake Ice fishing, I could have swore they use to rent huts and that I have seen people out there.

Any info appreciated,

Thanks,

when I was up there the end of last week there was a green hut set up with a couple people around it this would be to the east of 124 that pond area that is loaded with trees.

Not sure what spot you are thinking of. Highway 24, or as it is called now 124 runs east and west. Guelph lake would be east of Guelph. So if you are thinking of the right hand side. That would be south of 24. That is not the conservation area and is above the water intake for Guelph lake. I am not sure about the legalities if Guelph lake is closed just in the park or up there.

If it is highway 6 north towards Elora just out of town on the right hand side the pond surrounded by trees, that is not Guelph Lake.

Maybe some other Guelph guys can weigh in here.

My instinct tells me the pond loaded with trees you are talking about is indeed on 124, south of. It has a bunch of dead trees on the far side. That would lie outside the boundary of Guelph Lake I think, but not sure. The drained lake on the left side is Guelph Lake proper.

I was going past it again yesterday and saw the same hut set up and also had 3 or 4 others fishing the same area and yes they were fishing 100% sure of it.

yOU BUGGER, you came thru twice and didnt stop to see amy and myself?

you better stop in next time and see if the beer in my fridge is cold. your always welcome, even for dinner bud, i know i konw your driving cant stay, cant have a beer bla bla bla but iam sure you can stay and eat!!! ;)

Well I gave guelph lake a try (the area outside of the park) I saw a few people fishing well away from on the otherside. I really didn't know where was best, anyways I had no success but it was fun. It was my first time fishing the lake in the winter so its to be expected.

The ice was thick so no concerns about falling through as I was sitting on almost 18 inches of ice.

I took my german shepherd pup with me (well she is a year now) and she had a blast out there, she would watch me drill a hole and then she would try and dig her own hole through the ice, looks I have found a good ice fishing partner :)

All in all depending on the weather hopefully I can get out again next weekend and maybe catch a fish.