fishing on Chemong

Jer

Made it out on Chemong for solid 6 hours fishing (11 am til 5 pm) and nadda...not even a bite.

First opportunity to set up my new hut though:

gallery_273_73_15194.jpg

Lotsa room inside:

gallery_273_73_15527.jpg

My partners for the day:

gallery_273_73_53091.jpg

Lotsa good solid ice, 14" or so. We aalso had a visit from a friendly CO, he was very thorough, checking everywhere for any stashed OOS fishies, good to see some enforcemant. He said noone else was catching either.

We're gonna give Buckhorn a try today once it warms up a bit. Hopefully a little cloud cover will improve the bite.

Anybody else get out on the Kawarthas yesterday? Any luck?

Hey Jer.

I know exactly where you were and you should try twice as deep or twice as shallow. I was directly across the lake from you yesterday.

This underwater photo of a muskie was taken right near your spot.

Does that new hut fire flares up when you catch a fish? Looks pretty flashy. Keeps the cavaliers and honda civics racing up and down the lake from crashing into you.

Opening day I was in 3.5 feet and had lots of perch and a largemouth, very little weed. The last couple of times out I have been working deeper. Today on Pigeon some of our group were out to 40 feet deep and catching some fish. Long way from shore or weeds. If you think about Jack Lake, a popular crappie spot, most fish are caught in 20-30 feet on the large mud flat in front of the boat launch. I'm not saying that's the best pattern but after tying several shallow locations I'm heading deep.

I think we managed around 20 mixed panfish,(perch, rock bass, crappie) one smallmouth and a small walleye. The OOS fish all released healthy and happy.

My jig never landed shallower than 25 ft.

Nice to see the CO's out and about.

Keep looking.

eatme.JPG

Edited by Michael Brown

I think you must be right about the deeper water, Mike. We were out on Buckhorn today out front of my house from about 11 am to 4 pm and once again came up empty handed. Best action we had was about 4 or 5 small perch coming by for a sniff of our baits, but they wouldn't bite. We had trouble getting away from the weeds. most of the deeper water on this part of the lake is pretty inaccessable due to poor ice and current. I was talking to another goup on the lake who said they had been drilling holes all week and hadn't caught a fish.

We stayed pretty close to the south shore of Buckhorn, never more than 6 or 7 feet deep. Yesterday we were in about 12 feet on Chemong.

About the hut, we learned how important it is to spike down the corners. We had forgotten a cordless drill to pre-drill some holes for the spikes when we first went out and figgered snow packed on the bottom flaps would be enough. Sure enough, while we were out of the hut about 50 yards away, off she went in the wind, tumbling down the lake. Good thing my partner for the day was my girlfriend's 16 year old son and he was fast enough to get a hold of it before it found its way all the way to Chemong. Amazingly, the hut was no worse for wear after tumbling along for quite a ways. Back to the house for the drill and we were good to go again. Unfortunately, my Stradic reel ended up submerged in a hole when everything went over and hasn't been working right since. Live & learn I guess.