Perching Jan 7, Simcoe report

wuchikubo

Well it was the first outing for me this year and a long one since the last outing.

Dropped off the kids at school and went back to pack up the rest of the gear, meet up with a couple of friends and then head up to Gilford area WAS the plan. Got there about 10:40ish and spoke to two different groups of guys leaving. One fish kept after 3+ hrs of fishing! Lots of people there, parking was not good. Decided we would drive up to Innisfil beach to take a look. Got there and there was only one vehicle there with a fellow checking the ice with a spud. We asked the thickness, reply was 2 inches. Needless to say we weren't going to fish there yesterday. I looked for the parking fee info, didn't see any and then we left to stop at Timmy's.

Drove back down to Killarney beach, parking was better, a lot less people. We decided to give it a go. Walked out with the sled in tow, took about 10 minutes, the snow made it feel like it was 15 mins. Drilled the first hole, weeds, good looking but too thick for jigging, depth was about 14 ft. (from the Vex). My other two friends started getting into fish about 20 mins into jigging. (we don't use real minnows) Both of them were working their holes pretty good, one friend had about two dozen fish pulled out of the hole (and returned down the hole - he only wants to fish and not keep his), my other friend had about 15 fish up and he had kept 9. I'm still at ZERO!! Time to change the spot. Drilled the second spot, same thing nothing but salad (with zebra mussels). By now my buddy who's not keeping any of his fish has caught and release at least 30 fish, comes over and asks how many have I caught, I tell him the truth zero, then he picks up my sled and says come fish beside me, I don't like crowding fishing holes so I declined the first invitation, he goes on and takes my gear over to his area. I jig up a few more bowls of salad and then give in to his second invitation. Drilled my hole about 10 feet away from him and down when the jigging rap (red). My buddy pulls another 5 fish while I'm sitting there. Okay, I say to myself this color isn't working. I asked my buddy what he was using, gold and black jigging rap (small). Okay, I don't have the small version but the larger 3-4" version. Went down the hole, jigged a few times and caught .... more salad. Then the bite cools off for my friend. I say " of course it's because I'm sitting here!!!" What better time than now to change lures. While I'm retying my other friend joins us 10 feet to the other side of my friend. Down goes is line, and not even 1 min later he's pulling fish after fish up!

I've decided to change up the presentation, one heavier jighead tipped with Berkley maggots (red) and a second homemade fly tied up 7 inches from the bottom jighead (almost sabiki style). Okay, down the hole it goes, 5 minutes later my vex is lighting up with activity. First fish is caught (and released 7 inch perch), I tell my friend "okay, now I'll be able to sleep tonight!" Laughing as the line goes down again, a couple of light jigs and another fish give the line a tug. Up comes up my first keeper a nice 11 inch perch on the home made fly. We fished until dark and noted that the best bite was around 3 pm.

I ended up taking home about 10 fish and one of my friends kept about 30 fish within his limit.

Some of the fish had 6 inch smelt in their mouths still.

Lures of choice were the small jigging rap except for the red and the fire tiger styles. Berkley maggots in white and red also worked very well.

Thanks for the read,

Stan

thanks for the report! heading up to gilford myself next week hoping to get my gf and friend into some fish. picked up some berkley power bait minnows--gonna jig those in the 12-20 fow range. first time doing this, so we'll see how it goes!

anybody know of a good bait shop in the gilford area btw? i need to renew my license and maybe pick up some tackle.

Goodstuff Hearingfish! I was out there on Friday and it took a couple hours for me to find them...but once I did it was a nice afternoon!

Castgame...go to Innisfil Bait & Tackle at the corner of 89 and Yonge St. Keith will treat you right...has good bait and some decent gear in there if you need anything last minute.