Bell's Lake Near Markdale

basketclam

Has anybody ever ice fished on Bell's Lake near Markdale? I'm planning on heading there some time in the next few weeks. I've heard that it used to be stocked, but haven't had any of my inquiry emails returned from the MNR, so this is going to be a real shot in the dark. I'm sure that there must at least be some panfish in there.

Anyhow, I've heard that the lake has lots of groundwater, so the ice can sometimes be sketchy, but wasn't able to get any information other than that. Does anyone know where these thin spots could be? Or am I going to have to try to figure it out myself?

Thanks for any help that is forthcoming!

Yes it used to be stocked years ago. Back in the day it was a fantastic fishery.

I last fished it maybe 4 springs ago from a canoe and caught nothing, it seemed barren of life.

I suspect you may have a tough go there although it is very pretty.

As far as the springs go I wouldn't have a clue. You'd best be careful though it's definitely spring fed.

Edited by solopaddler

I know it well as my buddies cottage is on it, been going there for over 30 years.

Fishing sucks as does the ice conditions in some areas. Heavy snowfalls and large numbers of springs make for some tough going. The lake these days is full of stunted wormy perch.

In fact the only local access is from the south end and would have you walking up a creek to get to the lake and I'm not sure if it's ever safe?

In fact the only local access is from the south end and would have you walking up a creek to get to the lake and I'm not sure if it's ever safe?

That's exactly what I was thinking Chris, I've only ever accessed it by canoeing up the creek.

Hope you're recouping well, I've got a bunch of rod work sitting here on the shelf waiting for you. ;)

Thanks for the info guys.

As for access, it'll be quite a hike to get in there, but most of the land around the lake is owned by Saugeen Conservation so access isn't impossible. It's all wetland, so you'd never get in during the summer, but I was thinking of hiking over it during the winter.

Access may be a moot point, though, because I'm not overly keen to make a long hike in to experience the terrible fishing and dangerous ice.

Its not worth it,the hike and all.Ive marked a few big fish in the spring on the finder.I Mainly caught small perch in the lake and chubbs in the creek.The odd time I catch a trout down stream from the rd on a fly.Though it is a nice area to go for some peace.Try chesley lk or Eugenia lk better odds there for fishing and not far from markdale.