Long Point Park (Erie lake)?

gogu392

I lived in Port Rowan and worked in the park for a couple of years when I was a lot younger. The water level at that time was high so maybe things are different now. It is an excellent place to kayak or canoe, spring Bluegill and Crappie are excellent in the channels and ponds used in the fall by duckhunters. I used a light flyrod, white #6 maribou streamer for the Crappie and a sponge rubber spider for the gills. There is also pike, bowfin and LMB. Shallow weedless presentations rule, again, I used a heavier fly rod most with poppers, deerhair mice and streamers tied on weedless keel type hooks or monofilament weedguards. I liked the ability to set a fly down in a card table sized opening in the vegetation and then lift it without retrieving and then hit the next opening.

What I strongly recommend is a current air photo of the area of the marsh you intend to fish and make sure you know where you are at any time. The myriad of channels and ponds are like a maze and with the high vegetation you are lost visually.

There is more water to fish than the Park proper. The Long Point Waterfowl Management Unit stretches from the causeway to the park on the north side of Beach Boulevard , it would be all accessable outside of duck hunting season.

Get a airphoto though, knowing which direction you want to go is useless if it is solid cattails.

The year-round population is about 450 people, but the population increases to about 5,000 in summer months when cottagers and campers visit. Long Point is popular destination for boating, swimming, fishing, waterfowl-hunting and canoing, and more than 100,000 visitors each year. A large portion of Long Point is owned by The Long Point Company, a private organization that does not allow the public onto its property. Because of this, the bulk of homes, cottages and business are within the first few kilometers of the causeway that carries the road between Long Point and the mainland.

Believe me they patrol that area. Don't get caught in there. They own the land and water. Some deal that was make back in the 1800's.

Interesting read

http://www.kwic.com/~pagodavista/lpco.html

Edited by Fish Farmer