Having a Look at Places on BOQ

superdad

With the anticipated Wind Chill factor, it was decided that we (Laker John & Myself) won't battle the winds and the cold trying to fish on Dec 29th.

A fine day, however, to have a look around at some of the places on North Channel, Adolphus Reach, Thompsons Pt, Old Church, Shermans Pt and Huff's Road.

I know that there are some anglers who still long for the soft(yet very cold) water and we saw lots of open water with access to it.

1229A_FinklesLaunchRamp.jpg

Finkles Ramp is ok, will take some salt and a bit of shovelling, but the ramp is in great shape. It's about 5 kms to the Generating Station and probably another 2-4 kms to Batcave and Lighthouse. As you get closer to the Ferry, the amount of open ice narrows considerably until to you get to the Ferry, and here's what you see.

1229B_GlenoraLaunchRamp.jpg

Looking westward this shot doesn't show the whitecaps and the waves that were blowing this morning from the NW.

1229C_OpenwatertoCementPlant.jpg

Travelling back to Hay Bay, we had a look around for the access area near Thompsons and we found it. There was a vehicle with a trailer and out on the ice we could see the ATV. There was another ice shack north of this ATV.

1229D_ATVNearThompsons.jpg

Continuing around Hay Bay, we came to the Old Church Launch Ramp and it's access to South Shore Hay Bay is ideal. There wasn't anyone off the shouth shore this morning, guess it was TOO windy......

1229F_OldChurchLaunchRamp.jpg

We drove to Hay Bay North to drop off stuff at my place and headed for the Shermans Launch ramp. No problem accessing the ice here, it's all frozen, unlike yesterday when it was very soft just off the pad.

1229H_ShermansPointLaunchRamp.jpg

Our final stop was Huff's Road, two vehicles down there, one ice shack directly off the access ramp and a couple of 'Clams' just slightly norht of the access point. It was still blowing a ton and we were glad that we had decided not to brave the winds.

1229I_HuffsRoadAccess.jpg

As we drove around the Shore Road, past QP's place, we could open water from below the Highway 49 Bridge to past Forresters Island. Wouldn't want to chance any of that area. Saw some pressure openings in the ice. I would be cautious in the Mohawk Bay area for a while yet. That's an opinion that was formed driving on the roadand not near the ice.

Hopefully the ice will reform as strong as it was before the rain and even with the temps hovering around the zero C mark, there will be lots of places to play.

Remember - Play Safe and be Smart.

Cheers

David aka Superdad