Muskoka ice

wee scot

Houston the eagle has landed ....put the hut out today on 7" if good clear black ice in Windermere ...unfortunately we couldn't get the atv over the bank and had to manually push it out but hey it's out ....so let the games begin.

The hut is a light blue corrugated aluminum with a darker blue stripe ....wifey painted it so I best not complain about her choice of colour... so if your in the neighbourhood don't forget to knock on the door and say hi!!!!

Suds

New guy in town at the Bait on the Lake. Young guy. Seems like a really good guy. I remember John (I never knew his name), but I remember his wife more because she was always there when we stopped in. Great lady. They have a bottle depot out front now to attract more customers.

I hope to stop by again in 2 weeks.

Good luck under the hut Suds!

Bait on the Lake is just south of 118 on hwy 169 in the community of Glen Orchard ....its located right beside the Glen Orchard General Store which backs on to Butterfly Lake...it is also a beer bottle return location ...an interstate battery dealer and BBQ dealer as well ....I drop in there for my licences and bait if I'm over that way and they were always nice people to deal with ...When was it sold?

Suds

Thats great to hear suds ive been fishing simcoe like crazy while i wait for the freeze up north and ill tell you the fishing on simcoe this year is hot some masive lakeers coming through the ice still not the same as the peace and tranquility of the northern lakes cant wait keep us posted suds :D

Hmm, unfortunately I didn't stick around to chat long enough to get the whole scoop on the story.

All I know is that he has big plans to reinvent the design of the store, and bringing in more retail merchandise, and has started the bottle depot to attract more interest.

Yeah! We ordered a roast beef sandwich on toasted ciabatta bread! It was like putting the best day of my life into my mouth ... okay, I got that from the beer commercial. Mmmm.

Hey...I might have a shot at Rosseau this Sunday...any word on the main lake? ie..if I want to walk out of Windermere Bay into some deeper water? Still dicey or are people crossing it?

LMAO at the sandwich review, Disco! :lol:

Edited by johnnyb

I haven't seen anyone head towards the island other than the two airboats that are running around but yesterday I did see a hut being pulled by an ATV go over to the point directly south of the Windermere House where the 80' plus water is ....I was extremely nervous for them as that ice was only a week old and it's not like we are setting all time lows right now!!!! They just cut it in and left and I never got a chance to talk to them ...I'm sitting on just over 7" right now but I'm only out 150 yds in 62' of water. I'll be out there for a bit tomorrow and hopefully sometime Sunday but we have company for the weekend and lets just say they are land lovers. LOL

Suds

Airboats only eh...? Allright...well I don't feel TOO bad about being stuck down here then...have a good weekend Sudsy :lol: Will check in with you soon...looks like the last weekend of the month I will be in Muskoka at a friend's place on Lake Muskoka. If we don't do terribly well in front of his place, I think I'll be able to drag him over the the spots I know on Rosseau. Still waiting to hear what and if you're catching anything in that hut of yours with the lovely blue paint on it :rolleyes:

Well I fished all day Thurs with a buddy from down south and we caught 10 fish with the best 4 trout being over 4lbs each ...unfortunately had company all weekend and didn't get back out till this afternoon for four hours ...again I caught 10 + fish but they were all about 1.5 lbs of less so they all got to swim ....the ice is doing well and there are now a few more machines running around ...I myself am still waddling out until we get back into true winter weather.

Suds

• 2 weeks later...

Any updates on the ice on Rosseau??

I am a complete newbie to the area, and Ice fishing as well.

Have a place up there somewhat close to windemere. Is that the spot to go to?

Can you rent huts or is it better to just go out on the ice?

Hey Boys,

Not sure about the ice on Rosseau, or whether people have been nailing Lakers out by the Sands, but the ice at the north end of Muskoka near the Indian River is between 5-6 inches of solid black ice as of Saturday, January 30th. Couple of Lakers poked by to lay down on some ice for us. Biggest was around 4 lbs.

Let me know about Rosseau and the Sands.

GR

I don't think I can ever recall seeing a hut operator out by Windermere, but I could be wrong. Windermere should be good to go, it was a while ago. We just got back from fishing the weekend on Rosseau in Port Carling and the ice was about 14 inches thick. It stormed all day yesterday in the area, and we trapped ourselves in a snow squall when it started getting dark and ready to leave. We had to stay last night because I couldn't even see the road a foot ahead while driving. Terrible conditions. Lots of snow on the lake now. The fishing has been great. Lots of people having good success.

Let's not forget the little shop next door...amazing baked food in there...I like to go get a hot breakfast sandwich after picking up my bait..or a nice burger when coming home...or some pie for later...MMMMMmmmmm :lol::lol:

The sandwiches are beyond excellent! The guy running Bait on the Lake (Captain John) was really good to us. He seems to know his stuff and the lake very well. I believe it was the July issue of Fishing Ontario (might have been a different magazine, but that's what is coming to mind atm) that he was on the cover of last year with one heck of a big laker. Definetly worth stopping in to talk with, and swing by the store next door while you are there for some great home baked goodies or some sandwiches to help tide you over while you are out on the ice!

There was someone with huts out there last yr with signs on them for rent ( I have no idea who it was just a laminated sheet stuck on the hut with a contact number) but I haven't seen them this yr... Birchdale Cottages rent a few huts on Three Mile Lake if you are looking for perch or walleye.

Lots of ice in Windermere ...fishing is good...quantity not an issue although size so far had left a little bit to be desired ...

Suds

Three Mile lake is just up the road from Windermere ...oh I'd say 5 kms ....if you want some idea just look up google map ...less than a five minute drive from my house to this end of the lake ...From Port Carling I would have to say 20-25 minutes max....oh maybe add 5 min for deer dodging as they are really active along Brackenrig Road....as for perch I really can't help you there as it has never been a fish I really targeted ...usually only just went down to the lake and let the kids have fun with them.

Suds

Edited by Sudsmaster

• 2 weeks later...