early season walleye

walleye_man

hey everyone got out today for the first time today missed a pike at the hole and had a bit from a eye....i think

does anyone have any tips for me to ice some early season walleye

iv never really done to well for them maby iceing 5 a season :(

im fishing on the ottawa river but any tips will do

thanks alot everyone

Hey walleye-man,

I just read an Artical by the legendary Gord Pyzer.

Everything in this article about first ice or early season walleye holds true in my experience.....just today we looked for a deep part of the lake and found the break...sure enough...there they were. Same thing on another lake...at the transition point in deeper water....not unlike where you find them before the ice arrives fall fishing.

I have been having the best results with 3"-5" dace or sucker minnows...its been like walleye candy from around end of October....dont be afraid of bigger baits.....the walleye have the feed bag on and are trying to pile on the weight for a long cold winter.

Similarly i am fast becoming a convert to jigging raps, and williams spoons , ive been getting them to bite agressively on these (around the 2" size). i'll break the head off a medium minnow and attach the tail bit to the back hook of a jigging rap...looks like an extension of the lure...only juicy and real...tail gives it a good motion too when hooked just so (this also works killer for Lakers)

On the spoons i dont tend to add any minnow but now and again i'll attach just the head.

Dont forget a 1/8 jig and minnow....always works...i have been hooking them just behind the dorsal fin this year instead of in the mouth, through the gill and across the back....i've been catching way more fish this year hooking the minnow like that. Once again...try a big minnow...we are allowed two lines so this year that has been my dead stick...1/8 oz jig and great big minnow....and i'm experimenting with different lures on my secongd line...jig...jig...jiggin' away.

Anyway...here's a link to Gord Pyzers article,

GORD PYZER'S ARTICLE

Hope this helps.

Simon

wow thanks alot was worried there would be no replies

ill definitly try upsizeing to a bigger minnow and keep on jigging

when you use your jigging rap is it soposed to do little circles like around the hole

havent been bothering with them mich been useing more

little flyers and buckshots

gonna read that article now thanks alot