A tip for those registering

bigfish1965

When registering please use your ISP supplied email addy. We don't sell address lists and have provisions to stop harvesters.

Using your hotmail or yahoo account means we have to run a few IP traces to make sure you are not a spam bot.

If we see a rogers, cogeco or other ISP addy we can be reasonably sure you are a real person!

I would never use one of my ISP e-mail addresses - which is AOL. I have a system of using e-mail addresses and my system requires more than 7 - 7 is the maximum limit on AOL. So, I use Yahoo. Each Yahoo e-mail address has a specific type of communication or contact.

But, Yahoo has a good system. When you open an e-mail account you also have to provide an alternative e-mail address. In my case, my alternative address is my ISP - AOL. If I forget my password for a Yahoo e-mail account or if I forget the name of a Yahoo account, the password/name will be e-mailed to my alternative e-mail address.

Be aware that I can come up with a valid Rogers or a Cogeco e-mail address - and it could be not mine.

Some forums sites will send to you a temporary password to the e-mail that you have provided - lets say Yahoo.

With OFC, provide an e-mail - can be Yahoo. Also provide an alternate e-mail address - Rogers or Cogeco or etc. Send a temporary password to the alternative e-mail address. If the alternative e-mail address is not mine, I would not be able to become an OFC member. If I can become an OFC member, it would be almost safe to assume that I am a real person.

The alternative e-mail address is not to be used for member to member e-mail.

I belonged to a good fly tying forums site. It has been closed down for over 7 months because of spam. I guess it got hit badly.

I know that there would have to be some changes made to OFC software.

Or OFC can request your real name. CRAA does this. I think that this technique might limit the number of new members. It is because of this I did not complete my registration to an excellent fly tying forums site. They wanted my real name and my home address.

But, I am a real person.

carp-starter

I would never use one of my ISP e-mail addresses - which is AOL. I have a system of using e-mail addresses and my system requires more than 7 - 7 is the maximum limit on AOL. So, I use Yahoo. Each Yahoo e-mail address has a specific type of communication or contact.

But, Yahoo has a good system. When you open an e-mail account you also have to provide an alternative e-mail address. In my case, my alternative address is my ISP - AOL. If I forget my password for a Yahoo e-mail account or if I forget the name of a Yahoo account, the password/name will be e-mailed to my alternative e-mail address.

Be aware that I can come up with a valid Rogers or a Cogeco e-mail address - and it could be not mine.

Some forums sites will send to you a temporary password to the e-mail that you have provided - lets say Yahoo.

With OFC, provide an e-mail - can be Yahoo. Also provide an alternate e-mail address - Rogers or Cogeco or etc. Send a temporary password to the alternative e-mail address. If the alternative e-mail address is not mine, I would not be able to become an OFC member. If I can become an OFC member, it would be almost safe to assume that I am a real person.

The alternative e-mail address is not to be used for member to member e-mail.

I belonged to a good fly tying forums site. It has been closed down for over 7 months because of spam. I guess it got hit badly.

I know that there would have to be some changes made to OFC software.

Or OFC can request your real name. CRAA does this. I think that this technique might limit the number of new members. It is because of this I did not complete my registration to an excellent fly tying forums site. They wanted my real name and my home address.

But, I am a real person.

carp-starter

Yahoo and Hotmail are the biggest sources of spammers. You cannot spoof or redirect an ISP email address without having compromised the ISP's mail server (unless of course you are a client). If you can do that, you can circumvent anything we can do.

Providing an ISP address for registration lets us know you are real and we can avoid the IP tracing.

Requesting your real name accomplishes nothing since the new spammers are real people hired in places like India, The Philipines and Pakistan. We have a custom field that keeps out bot programs, but the only way to keep out the 'spammers for hire' is to use manual approval until we are connected to the national spam database after the upgrade.

GMail is far superior to Yahoo because it allows you unlimited variations of your actual address by adding the '+' sign and other characters. So your email could be [email protected] and you can have also use bobsmith+this [email protected] since GMail ignores everything after the '+' sign. :)