Gloomis

Hellfish

Hey guys, just a quick question here. I am looking at getting a new stick for bottom bouncing the piers for browns and bows and bouncing the Niagara, looking at something 10.5-11.5ft med-fast action should do the job, any ideas of models or shops that carry them would be appreciated. Again only looking for Gloomis, kinda hard to locate around here, but might be tempted if someone chimes in with good words about the Avid series cause I am sure they have a 10.5 or 11ft. Just looking for ideas, the thought of spending around 400-500 for a rod makes me want to do all the research I can. i am in the Niagara region as well.

Bass Pro Shops and Lebarons have a very limited selection of Loomis rods. Gangnons has a better selection but to far for you probally. I take the drive out to Hamilton every time as they tend to have all that I need rather than wasting my time like other stores. If they dont have it they can get it quick. Best part about Loomis is theie warranty. I have a few loomis rods ;) . Love them and they will last you forever. If you dont like loomis then I'm sure they will set you up with whatever manufactuer you want. They have them all.

I will check them out after christmas and see what they have. A 11 or a 11.5 for bottom bouncing would be a great time specially in the Niagara. Smallie you have a approx cost??? maybe 400-500 or close to??It would be nice to get the Ci4 and the loomis for 600-650ish but realistically probably closer to 800 :(

Hellfish,

I would highly recommend the STR1163S - 9' 8" rated 6 - 12 for weights 3/8 - 3/4 oz if you are looking to bottom bounce the Niagara. These are from the new Steelhead series that Loomis has come out with. The longer rods will really wreak havoc for you if you are fishing from a boat since it will be very difficult to get the fish in for netting. I have been bottom bouncing the Niagara for a few years now and have tried everything from an 8 footer all the way to a 13" and the longer it got, the harder it was in a boat... I have now settled from 9' to 10' max and this rod has a bunch of power but is still "soft" enough to allow the fish to take the rod down when they grab the bait.

Should retail for around the $400 mark... with a Ci4 you should be able to get both for around $700 if not better. That will be one sweet combo for sure!

JP

Hey hellfish stfr 1262 10.5' 6-10lb mod fast action at Pete's $379.00 best bottom bouncer ever made, the only other one that comes close is the 11.4' model. It's the Loomis float series rod, ask around the guys using these swear by them nothing better.Pete's has both rods so go check them out I like the 10.5', but lots of guys are liking the 11'4 either one is good you'll never want another bottom bouncer .

Edited by canadadude

There's so many choices for an off the rack rod these days.

As far as stock rods go I'll agree with Loomis.

If it was me I'd likely have one built though.

Worth looking at is the Rainshadow XST 111/2' steelhead blank.

First choice by far, J.C. has a new 12' 2pc CTS blank that's unreal.

Hey hellfish stfr 1262 10.5' 6-10lb mod fast action at Pete's $379.00 best bottom bouncer ever made, the only other one that comes close is the 11.4' model. It's the Loomis float series rod, ask around the guys using these swear by them nothing better.Pete's has both rods so go check them out I like the 10.5', but lots of guys are liking the 11'4 either one is good you'll never want another bottom bouncer .

Thanks John, I will check it out for sure, I am kinda liking the thought of a 11ft or 11.5 more or less for the Niagara, guess i have to hold them to know for sure.

There's so many choices for an off the rack rod these days.

As far as stock rods go I'll agree with Loomis.

If it was me I'd likely have one built though.

Worth looking at is the Rainshadow XST 111/2' steelhead blank.

First choice by far, J.C. has a new 12' 2pc CTS blank that's unreal.

Unfortunately I will be using mastercard gift cards I got for christmas for the purchase or I would have bought a rainshadow off of Cliff for sure, i fished with one and it sure was a work of art, mmmm 12ft 2 kicks it up to a whole new level I would LOVE to get my hands on one.