2000 TOYOTA SIENNA TRB

T Fisher

It's my Wife's car. The check engine light came on at the same time as it started to feel as if it starts in 2nd gear but not all the time. I scanned the code it's P0500 #1 speed sensor. The speed sensor cost $200 from Toyota but B-4 fork out the money I thought I'd see if anyone on the OFC was a toyota Technican the new word for Mechanic.

This all happened after the dreded emission test. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Sounds suspiciously like the same problem I had with my 97 GMC Safari. The computer was telling the transmission to shift, it would try but then go back to second, 2nd was the only gear to work. They hooked it up to the computer and verified that the computer was telling the tranny to shift, at that point they figured it was an electronic switch on the transmission that was fried, had them replace that as it all seemed to make sense. It actually worked fine for a day or two and started it again, finally figured out that it was just crud in the tranny fluid, try getting it serviced and changed if it has been a while.

The first thing i would try is clearing the code and seeing if it drive fine or comes back on. I do a ton of e-tests and occasionally we run into silly problems like this. It happens because the drive wheels spin on the dyno and the other 2 wheels stay stationary on the ground. It makes the ECM think that 2 of the wheel speed sensors are not functioning properly. Usually a drive around the block will fix it (constantly monitored by the ecm) but sometimes it gets stored as a hard fault and has to be cleared. As for shifting funny, with certain codes the ecm will put the vehicle into "limp home mode"

operating off of a base set of parameters instead of actual sensor data when one fails. Hopefully this is all it is. We haven't had an e-test cause any damage SOLELY because of the test itself.

Ryan