First outing with a Centerpin...

jaysonmarion@gmail.com

So tonight was my much anticipated first time using a Centerpin and Float Rod.

I spent about an hour and a half tying roe bags in all shapes and sizes.

I also stopped at CB&T and picked up some of their tied roe , and some worms then headed out to the dam.

Got all rigged up and put a glowcap on my float so I could see it.

Learning how to cast was fun. Took me awhile to get the hang of it.

Almost every drift, when I brought it back in, the spawn sac would be ripped open and all the eggs would be gone, but I didn't notice the float go down at all. Could it just be really badly tied? Or do you think I was getting robbed... lol..

Anyways, I tried CB&T roe until I was out, and didnt hook into anything.

Then I tried half dew worms, and thought i was getting hits, but I couldn't really tell.

Then I decided to try one of my roe bags, I let it drift for awhile, and retrieved it, and it was ripped open and only one egg was left inside..

I figured what the hell and casted it again.

Now heres where it gets funny.

I wasn't paying attention and my line had double backed around the reel handles like 20 times. I tried to untangle it and it got wedged underneath the handle, and I thought to myself, wouldn't it suck if I got a hit right now.

Well sure enough.... BAM.... My line tugs extremely hard, the float goes under, and my line snaps due to it being wrapped around the handle.

I just stood there for a minute... trying to figure out if what happened really happened.

I looked down river and I could see the glow of my float under water moving around rapidly.

I walked back to shore and started to get ready to re-rig... It was still raining so I decided to pack it in. I put my stuff away and looked back out into the river and to my surprise, I saw my Glow float... WAAAAAAY Upstream... Almost up near the dam. I had a good chuckle.

I stood there and watched as it made its way back upstream, and held in the rapids.

If I knew the river more I probably would have waded out to it and netted it lol...

Anyways.. the moral of the story is.. Its funny when fish hook themselves with a glow float on, break the line, and swim around the river.. lol...

I think what I need to do is go with someone who knows how to do this properly so I can see them catch a fish in person..

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh man, that's hilarious!!!

Was the bagged ripped open from the bottom, or did it look like it came undone? It's extremely easy to see if you look at the bag closely.

If it was ripped open from the bottom, it was either a fish, or the stream you were fishing has some pretty jagged rocks in the riverbed.. If it's a stream with lots of smolts and the float isn't weighed down properly, they'll steal your bag every time.

Did you have the float weighed down properly so that if there was anymore weight it would sink? Trotting it so the bait was downstream of the float when you were making your drift? Play with you lead? Longer, shorter? Ticking bottom? Snagging up a bit?

If you actually got a fish to bite your first day out, you did great man, don't kid yourself!!!

You are a brave soilder.

New 13' Rod

New Center Pin Reel

Night Time

After Rain

Big River

Those are some serious odds to work against. I wouldn't even dare. I'm glad you made it out of there.

As far as the roe bags it could have very well been the current combined with large jagged rocks. I know the bottom

there very well. Give it till Sat. evening or even better Sun. and you should have better luck.

Early bird gets the...???

Remember that. Especially at a highly pressured spot like your fishing.

Maybe it's time for you to adventure / hike around to find your own sweek spot on that river.

Good Luck.

Congrats man...I never got a hit on my first day out...took like 3 outings and it was only a smolt.

May I ask how you rig your glow stick onto your float? You use tubing at the top and just stick it in there?

Yeah it comes with a little tube and you just stick it in it and stick it on the float.

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh man, that's hilarious!!!

Was the bagged ripped open from the bottom, or did it look like it came undone? It's extremely easy to see if you look at the bag closely.

If it was ripped open from the bottom, it was either a fish, or the stream you were fishing has some pretty jagged rocks in the riverbed.. If it's a stream with lots of smolts and the float isn't weighed down properly, they'll steal your bag every time.

Did you have the float weighed down properly so that if there was anymore weight it would sink? Trotting it so the bait was downstream of the float when you were making your drift? Play with you lead? Longer, shorter? Ticking bottom? Snagging up a bit?

If you actually got a fish to bite your first day out, you did great man, don't kid yourself!!!

Yeah the bag was ripped. It looked like half the netting was gone.

I think I had it weighed properly. It was hard to tell. Even with the glow stick on it I found it hard to see, and I didn't want to use my cap light for fear of spooking.

I moved the split shot around a bunch of times. And changed the floats position.

I didn't change the leader length though. I had about 3-4 feet of that clear leader that I got.

I'm going to have to go during the day somewhere so I can see.

However, I want to go somewhere tonight after work :) Anyone have any suggestions? :)

Edited by Ultyma316

Go back to the same place...

You know where the fish are (I assume you saw where the fish hit), you have the rigging figured out (almost)

That's where I'd go...

Better odds then hitting a trib you've never fished before.

It would probably make more sense to go back there again..

My confidence is getting shot down more and more each time I get skunked there lol...

I think my biggest problem is the rigging.

Well you did something right to make that fish hit.

Just make sure you are as close to the bottom as possible, and leave it at that.

If the water is a bit dirty after this rain, shorten up your lead, 18-24inches...

If the water is also not flowing very fast, you won't have to bulk shot right above your swivel either.

Just stick with it man, you'll get it figured out.

Remember what I said about hiking? It's worth it!

Well you did something right to make that fish hit.

Just make sure you are as close to the bottom as possible, and leave it at that.

If the water is a bit dirty after this rain, shorten up your lead, 18-24inches...

If the water is also not flowing very fast, you won't have to bulk shot right above your swivel either.

Just stick with it man, you'll get it figured out.

Remember what I said about hiking? It's worth it!

I'd prefer to hike during the day :)

I don't want to go swimming in the middle of the night lol