First winter Fishing report

Garry2Rs

Okay, you already know that Buck and I arrived safe and sound at our winter hideout in Yuma AZ. on October 28 or 29th. The first two weeks down here were devoted to settling in, stocking-up the larder and cleaning-up, and hauling to the dump, eight months worth of dead leaves etc. from around the property. Almost as a signal that phase one was over, last weekend the cable man restored our TV and internet, so we are on-line once again.

On the way down we stopped at several Cabela's and Bass Pro outdoor store locations to search for bargains...grin. We bought a couple of spools of new line, several lures that were on sale, and a box set of Kevin Van Dam "Sexy Shad" pattern baits.

In case you haven't seen it, the KVD Sexy Shad Kit consisted of 17 lures and a plastic utility box.

1519772_i-648548.jpg

The full breakdown on the collection is as follows...

1 Chartreuse Sexy Shad and 1 Sexy Shad Pro Model crankbait in each of these sizes: Series 1, Series 3, Series 4, Series 5 and Series 6

Three 1/2 oz. Red Eye Shads – 1 Sexy Shad, 1 Chartreuse Sexy Shad and 1 Chrome Sexy Shad.

Plus, 4 KVD Spinnerbaits. Two each in 3/8 and 1/2 ounce weights, also in the Sexy Shad pattern.

At the regular USA price of $60.00 it was about a $20.00 savings over regular retail. I think that this year they are changing-out two of the spinnerbaits for two swim-jigs, so the older model kit I bought was on sale. That made the deal even sweeter.

Like I said, the last two weeks were written-off to shopping, home improvement and grounds-care. However, on Tuesday we went fishing in the Colorado River with the neighbour across the street. More correctly, we fished in a couple of the backwater lakes that were created by the flooding behind the Imperial Dam at Yuma.

The weather has been clear and hot...90+ everyday, with bluebird skies. Not surprisingly the fishing was tough. In the morning, we were in what's called Martinez Lake. As lunchtime approached, we knew that we would have to leave soon. Kelly had an afternoon appointment in town.

Trying to change our luck, we decided to relocate to a spot up river called Franklin Lake.

All morning I had been alternating between the KVD spinnerbait and a shallow running #1 crankbait. On a hunch I switched to a Red-Eye Shad rattle bait. I've had good luck with this type of bait down here.

It only took a couple of minutes to hook about a 4 pound LM Bass.

Nov2009.jpg

After the photo, I cut-off the bait and offered it to my neighbour. I tied on the new Chrome version of the same bait and caught a very small Bass on the next cast!

No picture on that one...grin.

The fish down here are long and skinny compared to the Kawarthas. They are also quite light in colour.

Since time was running out, we opted to end on these high notes and headed home.

You probably don't care to know that I came home with a slight sunburn...grin.

I'll will keep you posted as the season goes on.

Garry2R's

Fishing is my favourite form of loafing

Edited by garry2rs

You probably don't care to know that I came home with a slight sunburn...grin.

It doesn't take much to giva a Canadian one of those eh! ;)

You did good on the Bass!... it looks like it's been a long hot summer for him and he hasn't felt like eating much, they should fatten up over the next 3 months though.... what was the surface temp of the lakes?

I know the Colorado River has some cooler water running through the main channel, maybe you could find some chunkier and more active fish closer to the river channel?

The Colorado River is always fast and right now it is going like 60!

About the skinny fish...

I think the fish grow so fast down here that they don't have time to fatten up.

About water temps...Good question, the night time lows have been in the mid-fifties. The water surface temps were about 65 everywhere we went.

Tomorrow, I plan to hit them again. This time with a local guy who is a real fisherman. My plan is to try secondary points in larger backwater bays, looking for the first break-line where there might be big schools of Shad.

By-the-way, I didn't buy the KVD kit until now, when I was going south, because there are few if any Shad north of the Great Lakes. Regardless of all the advertising, Sexy Shad and Spicy Shad etc. are strictly USA patterns in my mind.

Garry2R's

Edited by garry2rs