Piranha Max Fish Finder

MCTFisher9120

So, I might sissy up and get a cheap fish finder. As last year I took a trip to my Grandma's lake and did some Pike fishing off shore...and caught nothing :angry: A good chunk of the lake remains open in the start of march(Spring Break) and Pike is still open for a week or two(forget the exact date) then it closes for there spawn.

Long story short I'll be taking the boat out this year and fishing with tipped jigs, spoons or small quick strike rigs out deep on breaks. I got a topo map but it's not 100%.

So, back to the fish finder, mainly I'll be using it at those times of year, maybe depth and temperature. Not really needed for largies in the summer(depending on the angler).

The Piranha Max 160 Fish finder is $129.99 and in the budget. I've seen it on sale so most likely wont pick it up until then. Just would like to here some feedback on he generously proportioned please. What kind of mount does it use, suction cup or a secure mount?

Thanks,

MTBF

Edited by Mike The Bass Fisher

it's a suction cup mount... i recommend rigging up something else to hang the transducer off the transom, because the suction cup sucks (pun intended, LOL)...

as for the unit itself, it's "ok" at best. you'll get the depths, and you'll get a temp reading... your best bet to "marking fish" is to turn off the "fish ID" option and use the raw sonar readout.

it's an alright unit to use for ice fishing as well, set the transducer on a "T" shaped mount and stick it down your hole... again, use the raw sonar, not the fish ID.

but as for Pike at that time of year... they will be in the shallows... they spawn very shortly after ice out in shallow bays... depending on the lake, probably less than 6 fow... which makes the fish finder kinda useless.

Yes Mike go for it they work very well.

I had a Piranha 4 it was a great unit until I flipped my 12 foot tinny and it took a bath.

I tried it alond side my old 18 foot tinny it was bang on for depth the exact same reading from a friends boat right beside us.

As for the suction cup it sticks very well to your Thornes tinny I would know that because I did have the same boat as you.

Just put it on the wish list. :santa::canadian: