Wooden Rattling Lure - Check it Out!!!

Leecher

After getting great advice from the members of this board on my last wooden project (the Jointed Spook) I got thinking in adding some additional feature to the next one. The general consensus recommended that the back hook be located more at the back. Another suggestion was to add rattles to it.

The easiest part was to relocate the hooks position but the rattles..... well had an idea and proceeded to making it.

First I cut a piece of 1"x 2" of pine to 5" then cut it again length wise to 3/4" so that it gave me a square piece.

Was able to get another piece out of that. Cut it again length wise in half, both of them.

Then I carefully marked the hooks position, 1" from the back and 2" from the front. Then created a groove in between where I had marked the hooks spot. See pic below:

IMGP2086.jpg

Another angle

IMGP2087.jpg

Then I used split shot sinkers and with a good pair of pliers, made them round. Dropped two of them into the groove and glued the pieces together. See pic below:

IMGP2088.jpg

I let the glue set for an hour and then started sanding to round the piece. See pic below:

IMGP2089.jpg

Then finished both. See pic below:

IMGP2090.jpg

Added the eyelets for the hooks. See pic below:

IMGP2091.jpg

Got a coat of white on it. See pic below:

IMGP2092.jpg

Here is a short video of the sound it makes

This one is going to be heavier at the back because of the split shots and the hook position. Now all it needs is a coat of chartreuse, dot pattern and a couple of coat of varnish and it's good to go :D

Hope you enjoyed

Leechman

Good work Leechman... one suggestion I have is to use steel BB's instead of lead since the lead is pretty soft and will give off low ticking and eventually flatten a bit losing their free rolling ability where the steel will have a louder and higher pitch.. the ones they sell for sling shots are awesome!

Keep it up, seems like you've found a bit of a passion/hobby here!

JP

Good work Leechman... one suggestion I have is to use steel BB's instead of lead since the lead is pretty soft and will give off low ticking and eventually flatten a bit losing their free rolling ability where the steel will have a louder and higher pitch.. the ones they sell for sling shots are awesome!

Keep it up, seems like you've found a bit of a passion/hobby here!

JP

Thanks JP!!! That's a good point about the BB's B):thumbsup_anim: I'll have to buy some of those for my next batch.

Leechman, you make some great lures. Very creative everytime, I hope to see more! Thanks for sharing.

Thanks mojobass!!! It's just the beginning :whistling:

Hey bud,

I've been following your lures for a while now...always check out your posts....i got into this way back, def fun and good way to pass the winter months

only thing I'd suggest, which I held back cause you were making solid wood bodies thus far.....screw in eyelets WILL eventually fail...especially if you're fishing for pike, musky, big bass....if you're already going to hollow out the body, aka cutting the body in half anyways, take the time to run a steel wire from nose to tail with drop downs to attach split rings....

I would lightly glue my two body halves together with a sheet of wax paper in the middle...put it on the lathe, shape it, do whatever, etc...only when i had the body perfect (aka I had a lot of wasted bodies) would I then separte the body halves and bend the steel to fit nicely....it takes some time to learn how but can be mastered quick enough.....

once you invest in an air brush kit you and make a few stencils you can make blow some pretty impressive finishes....good luck

Hey bud,

I've been following your lures for a while now...always check out your posts....i got into this way back, def fun and good way to pass the winter months

only thing I'd suggest, which I held back cause you were making solid wood bodies thus far.....screw in eyelets WILL eventually fail...especially if you're fishing for pike, musky, big bass....if you're already going to hollow out the body, aka cutting the body in half anyways, take the time to run a steel wire from nose to tail with drop downs to attach split rings....

I would lightly glue my two body halves together with a sheet of wax paper in the middle...put it on the lathe, shape it, do whatever, etc...only when i had the body perfect (aka I had a lot of wasted bodies) would I then separte the body halves and bend the steel to fit nicely....it takes some time to learn how but can be mastered quick enough.....

once you invest in an air brush kit you and make a few stencils you can make blow some pretty impressive finishes....good luck

Thanks bare foot wader!!! Good point about the steel wire, makes perfect sense..... will have to give that a try for sure. It so much fun that I prefer doing this then watching TV.

May be you could post some of your work.... I'd like to see them :)

Thanks again for your good advice :thumbsup_anim:

Great stuff leechman, I plan on trying my hand at something like this too in the next few weeks for a class project ^_^

Such a great way to pass the time and hone your lure making skills eh

bare foot, I would love to see some of your finished stuff as well!

Cheers everyone,

fishindude

Edited by fishindude

Great stuff leechman, I plan on trying my hand at something like this too in the next few weeks for a class project ^_^

Such a great way to pass the time and hone your lure making skills eh

bare foot, I would love to see some of your finished stuff as well!

Cheers everyone,

fishindude

Thanks fishindude!!! Yes it sure is B) Good luck with your project. Post your results when you finish it :)

It's fun to follow your projects, Jacques.

It looks to me like you have epoxied the eyelets into the wood, as well as relying on the grip of the screws. I'd be surprised if any freshwater fish could tear those out, assuming of course that you'd be relying on your drag a little too, and not just trying to "horse" a big fish.

If that's just carpenter's glue, I'd go to epoxy. :)

It's fun to follow your projects, Jacques.

It looks to me like you have epoxied the eyelets into the wood, as well as relying on the grip of the screws. I'd be surprised if any freshwater fish could tear those out, assuming of course that you'd be relying on your drag a little too, and not just trying to "horse" a big fish.

If that's just carpenter's glue, I'd go to epoxy. :)

Thanks Jocko!!! I used carpenters glue on the eyelets but epoxy is what I'm going to use in the future. I have enough prototypes now for a good test. Unfortunately it will have to wait until next season cause of deer hunting. I'm packing right now but took a 5 minute break.

Thanks Jocko!!! I used carpenters glue on the eyelets but epoxy is what I'm going to use in the future. I have enough prototypes now for a good test. Unfortunately it will have to wait until next season cause of deer hunting. I'm packing right now but took a 5 minute break.

I'm heading out for deer this coming week too. Good luck!

next time try 2 smaller pouches for the slit shot...or use glass beads and split shot in another

Thanks fishinguypat!!! Sounds like a good idea about the glass beads :thumbsup_anim:

I'm heading out for deer this coming week too. Good luck!

Good luck to you too my friend!!!

Very nice work again I dont know why people are afraid of Screw eyes I know alot of Musky baits that use them and I have a bunch some that have many fish on them but never had a problem with them pulling out that is usually a sign of to tight of drag setting or to short of screw eyes (maybe) but wire through is very popular with many folks keep up the great work.

Very nice work again I dont know why people are afraid of Screw eyes I know alot of Musky baits that use them and I have a bunch some that have many fish on them but never had a problem with them pulling out that is usually a sign of to tight of drag setting or to short of screw eyes (maybe) but wire through is very popular with many folks keep up the great work.

Thanks MrEh!!! I haven't caught any fish big enough to even give them eyelets a real test but you just never know. Next season, I'll test them vigorously I hope, to see if those will hold.

As for the wire through, that is on my next thing to try for the future batches I'll make.

Thanks again guys for the great comments. It's much appreciated!!!

I'm leaving for the bush soon.... waiting for my brother to pick me up :)

Not the greatest deer opening day..... poring rain right now :o

Wish me luck and will talk later.

Good luck to those going out fishing or hunting!!!

Tight lines

Leechman