Trolling Motors and Sonar

mugsmuffin

if you can get a unit with the universal sonar GET it makes the deck of the boat better orginized and less chance of pinching wires on the transducers (found out about this the hard way) plus the transducer is recessed slightly in the trolling motor head and is less likely to get damaged from impacts

Yea i would go that root if you got the money. I basically just bought a cheap new fish finder for the front used the transducer that came with it. Witch was the transom mount kind. But as for electric steer or cable steer just depends what type of fishing you are doing. Cable steer is more for tourney anglers and electric is more for all around fishing in my opinion.

I had the same questions this time last year and ended up with the Minkota auto pilot 24 volt 70 pound with transducer and I love it. I love the auto pilot as I do alot of open water trolling and it sure does make life alot easier you can land you fish or help a family member with there fish and not worry about the boat turning around on me that was a major part in my choice. This summer I was using it for trolling around a lake with alot of structure and it worked great for me there also if I have to replace this one some day I will have the same features I do like having the sonar up front for the casting days or jigging it works just like ice fishing what a great tool.