First Outing to Bronte Creek.. and more..

jaysonmarion@gmail.com

Guest ThisPlaceSucks
i hope no one actually answers this question .... :whistling:

no disrespect Doc

well, um...i see your point...maybe don't post it publically... but i'm an avid float fisherman and 'pinner who has no intention of utilizing this technique. perhaps someone could even pm it to me? i'm not up on my poaching techniques...

i'm from sault ste. marie...the salmon poachers here just go downtown and do it the old fashioned way... cast out something really heavy, reel in and jerk the rod real hard every few seconds!

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

i've had it explained and i'm not convinced. guys use that technique here in town with roe and the hook is often INSIDE of the mouth. while it's possible this technique could be foul hooking fish it seems just as likely that they'd be instinctively swatting at the presentation just like they do your drifted roe bag...not to mention that drifting a roe bag could in fact produce the exact same result, especially if you let it swing across a tailout.

I have trouble getting the stuff to stay wrapped around my fingers and it always comes off just as I get to the back mollar!

Really? I just wrap it around my forefingers (you know, the one to the left and right of the obscene one) and slip it between my teeth. I just got some really nice tutti frutti flavoured stuff from the dentist. It's better than chewing gum.

And don't be so cheap. Put an extra wrap on each finger. In the end you'll be happy you did.

JF

They'd nail a marshmellow for sure, I've caught more then a few down at Port D on them when I was a kid...

Are they generally used for flossing fish? Yes :)

Indeed.

I don't intend to "floss" or "line" or "snag" or one of the other 5000 names for catching salmon.

And I don't keep my fish anyways. I am all about the catch and release, if anyones read my other posts you would know that.

I've never fought a salmon before and I can imagine it would be a hell of a fight :)

i've had it explained and i'm not convinced. guys use that technique here in town with roe and the hook is often INSIDE of the mouth. while it's possible this technique could be foul hooking fish it seems just as likely that they'd be instinctively swatting at the presentation just like they do your drifted roe bag...not to mention that drifting a roe bag could in fact produce the exact same result, especially if you let it swing across a tailout.

Drifting roe under a..ahem..."searching leader"...does indeed produce the same result. If you're using a hook smaller than a 1/0 treble the only time it will stay pinned is if you snag a part of the head, almost always unless you are real "lucky" a small hook won't stay stuck in a fin. That's when you see bottom fishing guys getting "sniffs" or "rubs" or "short strikes". So the fish that are landed are ones where the hook finds the jaw hinge or a piece of flesh in the roof of the mouth, and then hey obviously the fish ate the ear plug, look it's hooked in the mouth!

It does sound kooky, but that's how it works. Salmon WILL eat eggs in the river, but they are very spooky fish. If you can see them, they can see you and sure as heck aren't in the mood to be chasing anything.

Here's a shot of a salmon that actually ate some skein under a float, see how deep the hook is? If it's around the edges of the jaw or hooked from outside-in it's probably a floss job.

SalmonSkein.jpg