question for down-east salty rod holder owners

skrillaguerilla

Hi i am trying to order some mounts for my two rod holders. The sales guy @ down-east recommended the s-16 vertical mounts for me to bolt on top of my gunwale.

s17-a.jpg

I was wondering if any of you have that model rod holder and exactly how you mounted it on the gunwale. I'm not scared to drill holes in the boat, but I don't know how you would tighten these rod holders down with the provided hardware. My gunwales aren't perfectly flat like the mounting surface of the rod holder, and they are hollow on the inside.

pic of the lucky boat:

n620175477_4328383_9497.jpg

thanks!!

Edited by skrillaguerilla

I can't get the S-10s over my gunnels. So Uncle Buck (Goran) made me some SUPER heavy-duty mounts for them. They can't be more solid. I don't know whether he still makes them but you can always PM him. I'm very happy with them.

DSC012181.jpg

DSC01217.jpg

Roy has a great setup there! If you can replicate something similar you will never have any issues, with the holders or your boat.

The good thing about Roy's setup compared to being right on the gunnel is in late fall fishing. water does not splash as easily on them. For those who do this every year, know that on the days when it's -10 with the wind chill factor a splash on the holders mean you cant take the rod out :-) So if the rod holder is on the gunnel it's easier in rough waters or when moving to have them freeze up.

otherwise the S-10 would be great on your boat if they fit. Plus you can easily move them around and adjust based on the spread you are going to run.

Guest gbfisher
i can't see the pic of the boat (blocked at work).. some people cannot use the s10s if they have wide gunwales ie. the clamps when fully opened, don't fit over them.

Has regular gunwalees. They'd fit no problem. Don't know why the manufacturer suggested different. Hell...he could mount them on the end of the holders he has on the boat.(rigger holders by the looks of them) Drill and mount on a 90 off the end....

I also have the S-10s with a similar setup to Roy's. I was surprised because my gunwales actually aren't very big. It is sort of ironic that I bought them so I could clamp them on without drilling any holes and move them wherever I wanted, and then ended up building an elaborate mounting system, but they are still the best rod holders around. No regrets!

Here's another thing. As sturdy and well built as those salties are, imagine them being passed over your gunnels and clamping directly to the aluminum....what is it, 1.8mm.... .072" ? That'd just defeat the purpose of having a heavy-duty holder in the first place. Not to mention the damage to your paint job both interior and exterior. IMHO

Thanks for the replies everyone. The boat is a 14' Mirrocraft deep fisherman. It's pretty old and scratched already so i'm not too concerned about fouling the paint. I guess i could always put a small piece of leather or something to protect the paint where the clamp feet make contact.

Yes those are down rigger mounts, but mounting the rod holders to them may interfere with their operation. Roy, your gunwales are twice as wide as mine so i don't think i will have a problem getting them on there. That's a really nice setup you have there.

I think I'm just going to get the clamp mounts instead. That way i can quickly transfer them to different boats or pack them up for the winter.

Graeme, good to hear from you again

Another vote for the S-10's. Instead of leather though, see if you can get a piece of hard rubber. It protects the boat, won't damage, and the clamp pads bite into it giving it a superb grip.

Put it on both the interior and exterior and it will be fine.

and no, the don't slip, EVER!!!!