a tough tourney

grt1

Well I spent the Labour Day weekend fishing the Red Lake fall classic and for me it was a tough one to get any big fish.

With weeks to go before the tournament everyone I talked to said Red Lake was producing big fish, well my partner and I decided we would fish Red Lake and get some of these biggies on the tournament.

Normally I fish Gullrock Lake (a lake connected to Red Lake by a river system) and get lots of fish, but for a change Red Lake was going to be our target area.

The Red Lake tournament has 140 boat field of teams and almost 85% of the teams headed to the west end of Red Lake , where for the past 5 years the winning fish have come from. we joined the party out there and while most teams went past where we fished, the area we were in was also noted for holding big fish. Now when I say big, I'm talking 27-30 inch walleye.

We didn't do well, we started throwing away the 10 -14 inch walleyes we caught when we finally realized that we had to weigh in 5 fish for the day and we should have kept them even though they were small. We did get a 15 pound northern but it was no good to us and we moved to several spots before day 1 was over and weighed in 2 fish for a total of 2.22 pounds.

On day 2 we went down river to Gullrock and in the first 20 minutes we caught more fish than we did all day 1

One of the fun things about the fall classic is the people you meet and in the afternoon, while fishing a flat area and getting 19 to 22 inch walleye one after another, up comes a boat to join our spot and it's Gary Roach. Naturally Gary apologized for coming to our spot (he is really a nice guy) but we told him we were moving and wished him good luck.

We never did find any big fish but on day 2 we weighed in a total of 7.98 pound giving us a 2 day total of just over 10 pounds for 7 fish, finishing in 125th place. Now I know that's pretty poor but there were teams that weighed in 0 fish so I don't feel too bad.

The winners weighed in just over 30 pounds. For a list of the winners and finish results you can visit redlakefallclassic.com