Upper Niagara Report

bicephalic

Back in May I asked for some recommendations for a charter in the Niagara falls area for a stag for my brother-in-law for the middle of June. Several people on this and other boards gave me plenty of suggestions. I did some research and spoke with a few of the suggestions and ended up going out on the Upper Niagara River with Paul Castellano of Cast Adventures for Walleye.

1.JPG

June’s trip, although a blast was a little lacking as far as fish cooperation was concerned. Paul put us on several patterns that had been producing well for him, and zipped us around to any number of depths and hotspots but to no avail. We stopped and spoke with a few people on the river that Paul Knew – all were getting the skunk. We did manage to catch a few out of season smallies, which were quickly, and gently returned to the river.

2.JPG

3.JPG

As we didn’t do as well as expected on the first time around, Paul offered us a deal we just couldn’t refuse on a second trip out. I can’t stress enough what a good guy he is, and how well he took care of us on both outings.

Fast forward – August 31st – 3:30pm. We launched out of Fort Erie, and headed up river for what would be a good number of drifts that lasted until sunset. I think all of us lost count of the number of fish in the boat about halfway through the outing. Despite equipment failures of near epic proportions (I decided to take my own gear out this time around), I even managed to boat 4 decent sized Bass.

Here’s one:

4.JPG

My Brother in law and our Friend Michael, along with Paul who we were glad to have fishing with us this time around were slaying them:

5.JPG

6.JPG

7.JPG

This wasn’t the heaviest of the day – but it certainly was the longest

8.JPG

Hey – if you haven’t heard of Slammers yet (I sure hadn’t) – find some!

9.JPG

All in all an excellent outing – we’re already mulling over a winter-ish trip out on the river for trout.

10.JPG

Anyone looking for a charter in the Niagara area – give Paul Castellano a call – you wont regret it. www.castadventures.ca .