River SMB in the Fall

Fishnwire

As happens every year around this time, the unbeleivable small-mouth bass fishing on River X (north of Sudbury) on which my camp is located, tapers off quickly. A couple of weeks ago I was catching fish between 16 and 20 inches pretty much every second or third cast. Along rocky and/or timber blown shorelines and weed edges they just hammered top-waters and soft plastic like they were starving. This weekend I probably saw two or three fish for every hundred casts...and the average size is a lot smaller.

Now I know lots of guys will tell you that September-October is the best time of year to fish for big smallies, but I've had that camp for about five years, and every season, by September 1st, I have the hardest time finding fish on that river. There's not a lot of deep water to be found...there's one decent sized area where it gets to almost 30 feet but quite frankly, I don't know how to fish for bass that deep. What would I use? Heavy lead and tubes? Is that where they might be? Where else should I look for them and what presentations should I use? Do they suspend? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

I too am having trouble finding the larger smallies that I found quite easily earlier in the summer. Still get the odd couple but landing

into a bunch within a few hours is just not happening. Sounds like the river system I'm fishing is alot smaller though. Only gets 6 feet deep.

Hooked into my first Longnose Gar this weekend though!

Yep, this is the best time of year for smallies.

On most rivers that I am familiar with, smallies will get very active in the fall. They could be holding deep in the hole, but if they are actively feeding they will be almost anywhere in the river. They have a tendency to school-up, often by size and patrol for food. It can be maddening, because they will abandon cover and travel a lot. You may get 2 or 3 fish from a spot, then gone. Be prepared to move around a lot, and fish pretty much any water from super skinny to deep. I wouldn't key on the really deep spots until the fall feed is over and the fish start to get less active.

Jerkbaits are key for me this time of year. After cool evenings, shallow areas with lots of rock, in the sun will often hold fish.

I had a similar learning curve regarding fall bass. Living in S. Ont for school I had the Grand and a great spot literally 5min from my door. Fishing peaked for my for size and numbers in Oct through early Nov. I was catching big fish not casting to the middle of the river but parallel to shore. 2fow. Then the big fish moved, like you said. Seemed like some threshold, water temp I suspect. Still could catch a few smaller.

Lots of walking to find those holes that hit 10 or 12 feet. The fish (not sure if they were the same ones) seemed to move quite a distance.

As for fishing at depth, with current. you should be able to match a jig head and get a tube or grub down there. Minnow style plastics will get down quicker. Drop shot, may have to use a larger weight (doesn't have to be sold as a dropshot weight any bell sinker will get the job done)

Try fishing from noon (give the water time to warm up) til early evening on sunny, warmer days. They seemed to produce best for me.

Also, bigger, scented baits worked painfully slow when the bite was off. Force yourself to count to 10 on pauses a few times during the retrieve.

Edited by troutologist

I fish the Grand a lot and I have found the same thing. Big fish July and early August, now really slow. I was out tonight and caught a small SMB, no where near the size I'm used to. I get afew hits but no smashes on the topwaters. The big fish seem to be there still (big hits, surface feeding) but are on a negative bite. I'll try some of Troutologists tips in October.

P.

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

went to a favourite smallie lake this weekend. same deal. fish have moved. when we did get a pattern down it was dragging jigs off a weed lined island, in 15-20 fow as opposed to the 2-10 we normally catch them in.