Huge chinook salmon are heading up the Ganny

Spiel

Huge chinook salmon are heading up the Ganny, local creeks

September 4th, 2009

Terry Curtis / Northumberland Today

I can smell it in the air and feel it in the cool evening temperatures.

Autumn is fast approaching, and for anglers that means the start of the best fishing of the year.

The season is open for all species of fish and you know the fish will be putting on the feed bag pretty soon in anticipation of the long winter ahead.

But let’s not get ahead of ourselves! We’ve still got the annual “fall turnover” to deal with and it’s just starting on the Kawartha Lakes. Need evidence? Just take a peek at the colour of the water in Rice Lake this week. With the cooler air temperatures the water temperature is also dropping and the water is starting to get that murky green tinge to it and will eventually turn to a slimy, putrid-looking green colour.

As this change in the water takes place you can bet the fish will take a while to adjust to it and the bite will drop of dramatically until temperatures stabilize. A lot of anglers hate this time of year, but I love it!

Most days I have the lake to myself because most bass and walleye chasers get frustrated by the lull in action, but it just makes me want to spend more time on the water. Can’t tell you why this week, but I’ll give you the scoop next week. Hey, a little suspense doesn’t hurt, and besides, I’ve got a hot Tip for anyone looking for for some exciting fishing action that doesn’t involve walleye, bass or even boats: the salmon run is on!

Huge chinook salmon are running up the local creeks and the Ganaraska River right now and for anyone who has never caught one of these monster fish, now is the time.

The run just started this past Monday and numbers of fish will increase in the next two weeks or so.

How big are these salmon? Expect to hook into many fish in the 30-pound range and hang on! That’s right 30 pounds — or more!

A few years ago I hosted a TV show called The Ultimate Angler and we spent part of a day filming on the Ganaraska River right in the heart of Port Hope. The action was hot and heavy and I was tuckered out by the time we left after only a few hours of chasing fish I tied into up and down the river.

Actually, the fishing was so good we had enough footage in the first hour or so of the day, but the fishing was so hot the producer and camera man couldn’t resist and joined me for some unbelievable fishing themselves!

They were like two little kids in a candy store, laughing and teasing each other about missed hook sets and who landed the largest chinook.

Will I be on the Ganny this week? Count on it!