Lake Kashwakamak Report

Ben_Daniels

Spent a couple days up at Lake Kashwakamak this week. Had a good time, but lost TONS of fish. I was using Zoom Super Flukes and Spinnerbaits for most of the time around weed beds. I caught a bunch of smaller Largemouth, Smallmouth and Pike. I lost 5-6 fish in two days because my line kept snapping when I was setting the hook or while I was fighting the fish....DON'T BUY BERKLEY VANISH. I usually use BPS XPS Fluorocarbon and its great, but I ran out and could only get to Canadian Tire so I figured I'd try the Vanish because it was the only Fluorocarbon they had... it is HORRIBLE. I was using 14 lb test as a leader, I was wetting all my knots to make sure the friction didn't weaken the line and still this line was breaking...at my knots, in the middle of the leader and everywhere else. It really hurt losing 4 or 5 3-5 pound bass. It could have been an amazing trip if I had landed every fish that I hooked up with.. well you live and you learn, here's some pics of the fish I did land.

IMGP0113.jpg

Note the kitchen towel under my hat covering my neck...works great with your neck is sunburned and hurtin.

IMGP0116.jpg

This was the biggest fish I landed. 3.5 pounds...sucks losing so many fish that were bigger than this one.

IMGP0120.jpg

-Ben

Edited by Ben_Daniels

that is a great report! Nice to see Kash producing some decent fish!!!

Cheers!

It is a very good report!!!... and I hope Ben wasn't offended by my earlier reply.... I was just stating my experience!

It has also been my experience that "full spool" flouro like Vanish isn't nearly as durable as the "leader" grade flouro! My favorite leader grade flouro is Suffix! It isn't nearly as soft and pliable as the "full spool" flouro, but is extremely durable!!! I use 175 lb. test on a 100 lb. test main line for fishing Grouper in the rock beds of the Gulf of Mexico!

If you're going to use flouro for a leader only, buy the leader grade flouro!!!

... another thing!... before I drop any of my lines in the water I give the "drag" test. I insert the hook into an immovable object like a picnic table, truck bumper, or the "eye" hook on my boat for the bimini top... I then "load" the rod for the weakest link, be it the leader, hook, or the rod itself... when the weakest link has the max load it I think it can handle, I set the drag to slip at that popint I then reel back down and check it again to make sure the drag slips at the desired load... try it sometime, you'll be surprised at the size of fish you can land on light line with the proper drag setting!!! ;)

Thanks for the replies guys. Yea my drag was pretty tight...but common 14 lb test, never had that problem with the Bass Pro line. Nah I'm not offended Dawg! I hate using fluorocarbon as a mainline sooo many tangles! Don't think it was Pike biting me off...I saw most of the fish that I lost and they were all bass.

-Ben