Yet another cap camera mount

Syn

Built this last winter while watching a fishing show on TV and wishing it was summer and I was fishing from a boat. :P

I tried it a few times and had some fun with it but it is not a serious camera setup but awesome if you like the FPS view in games.

Parts: Lightweight camera that has the standard tripod mount hole with thread.

fishing cap

about 15" cut coat hanger wire (you decide on this distance based on your focal length)

1 bolt that matches the camera tripod thread

2 washers

1 nut

1 lock washer

1 1/2" paper clip (the one you squeeze to open)

2 pieces of 1/8" thick rubber for the clip (helps improve grip while preventing it faling off or leaving a mark on your cap)

Put together as shown in the pics

Camera in the storage position. You could use a thin elastic band around the top part of the cap to ensure it does not fall off in case you forget its there.

dsc00039z.th.jpg

Here is a side view of the down position, I adjusted the bolt so that the camera in the down position ends up in a vertical position and does not allow for camera swinging forwards and backwards. Also I tightened my cap strap tighter for a more secure fit and angled the cap up a bit to offset the weight of the camera wanting to pull the cap down from the front.

dsc00040poy.th.jpg

This is the view from your skull. I adjusted the distance of the wire so that the camera is far enough in front so I can see what I'm filming but not too close so as to block my field of vision to a great degree. Also I like how the camera record button is on the right side. Picassa program has a button for automatically turning video sideways (right side up) so no messy conversion steps.

dsc00041o.th.jpg

View from the left side

dsc00042ftp.th.jpg

Close up of the bolt, washers and nut

dsc00043gtd.th.jpg

Close up of clip with rubber

dsc00045n.th.jpg

Note: you may want to put this on your cap once you are way out on the lake and away from people giving you strange looks. lol

You could also become familiar with the "self-timer" feature on your camera, it's what all the kewl kids are doing... and you don't look nearly as ignorant!!!

I wanted to film video of fighting a fish and landing it from a first person perspective while having both my hands free. The self timer is useless for that. The camera mount did work really well at doing steady panning shots of the scenery too.

Edited by Syn

I wanted to film video of fighting a fish and landing it from a first person perspective while having both my hands free. The self timer is useless for that. The camera mount did work really well at doing steady panning shots of the scenery too.

Oh?... you mean useless like this???

http://www.ofncommunity.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=35630

Oh?... you mean useless like this???

http://www.ofncommunity.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=35630

That video does not show him fighting the fish from a first person perspective (holding a rod and reeling in and watching it jump from eye level, etc) so how can you even compare what I was trying to achieve to his video. He has to bring the fish into view of the camera (its a 3rd person view) and hope for the best because he can't see what he's filming. I'm focusing on filming the fish as if the viewer is the person fishing.

When you have a camera mounted to your head or shoulder, etc and later watch the video at home you feel like you are the one participating first hand. That was what I was trying to achieve. Also with the camera sitting there I can't tell exactly what it is capturing because the LCD screen is on the other side of the camera.

If I wanted to film myself holding the fish yeah then the timer is useful, but useless for a FPS view.

lol Must be a full moon out or coming soon. I seem to attract them.

Heres an example of FP fishing at chest level. I like filming better at eye level because it looks better and much less shaky.

Edited by Syn