Huntsville area fishing

Radnine

Hi All,

Will and I just got from a friend's cottage in the Huntsville area.

We left on Saturday in sunny weather (from Caledonia) and it stayed that way until we hit Huntsville where it rained, and it didn't stop for two days!

We managed to get out a bit between rains (both vertical and horizontal) and managed some fish.

It is a funny little lake. There is no documentation so it is only through experience that we find the fish. If they are not where they used to be it becomes a search. I was also attempting to map some structure on my GPS on this trip (again, there is no map on the GPS so it becomes icons in a brown screen).

We noticed a funny thing this time around; It was always a pike heavy lake, little ones you know, as well as no perch and scarce walleye (the bass were always plentiful). This time around we caught more walley (and some good ones) and almost no pike (like one the whole four days). I don't know if there is a conscious effort by the locals to harvest pike or not (like on Balsam) but something has definitely changed.

Anywho, here are some snaps:

Will caught this beaut about 10 minutes after we arrived (Will's the little guy on the right) on a dead minnow on a floating jig head.

P1010369-1.jpg

This is a tiny bass caught in a back bay on a tube jig (bleeding Strike King in watermelon)

P1010371-1.jpg

This walleye was nabbed at about 8:45 on a silver and black shad rap, trolling in about 14 FOW. Some others like this were caught by others as well (photos not available to me).

It was a fatty. All of the walleye went back to hopefully keep the trend in the lake going in the right direction. We will harvest some next year fo shizel! I am howling because Will chopped my head on in the three attempts before this picture. Fishing at night with a 7 year old is a challenge!

P1010387.jpg

Jim