The Hair Rig works - Part two?

farsider

With thanks to Dan Bouck's last thread on the Hair Rig and all those who posted therein,

I had tried to use a hair rig with some nasty boilies that I had picked up from some shop on Jane St. without success. I lacked confidence in the method and didn't catch anything with it so I went back to basic canned corn on a plain hook with an egg sinker, thinking there must be more to this Hair Rig thing. Sure I caught some fish, but mostly I failed to hook-up the vast majority who tried the corn.

Then some time ago I read Dan's thread on the Rig and discovered that you could literally "thread" other loose(particles) baits onto the hair rig and in so doing, improve your chances. With renewed zeal, I set about picking up some maize and quickly made my way back to my spot. I still had some canned corn leftover so I chummed the spot with that (as I had usually done) and set my newly-threaded maize in amongst it.

Less than 15 min. later I had my first taker. It was only around 10lbs but, there is something truly sweet about trying a new technique and having it pan out for you.

I also managed this one about a half-hour later:

P1000453.jpg

Around 12-15 lbs I would guess. I put my boot in the shot for a length comparison so I could get him back in sooner.

All-in-all, a productive couple of hours. I have also managed to repeat this a few times since.

The one noticeable drawback to this conversion is that I have started eyeing some more tackle; a baitrunner reel perhaps, something to replace my stick-in-the-mud rod rest, etc.

And so it begins...

Cheers,

Mark

If you really get into carpin there's lots of tackle/equipment to spend your money on.

Last week I spent some time carp fishing with someone I meet on another board who was visiting near me from England. I use hair rigs but some of his tackle is beyond what I've seen before. I suspect those more into carpin may have seen or used some of these things. I've seen telescopic rods before but not 12' quality ones. His rod holder had an electronic alarm so sensitive that a feather floating down the river which bumped his line caused it to chirp. He also had large lead sinkers with a grove for a rubber bad on them. With these you use a bag that dissolves in the water. In the bag you place some chum than you place the opening of the bag around the sinker securing with the rubber band. Your hair rig is set about a foot from the sinker as a slip type set up. When the bag dissolves your chum is quite close to your bait.

Not the type of tackle you'll find in Canadian Tire.

Rick

Welcome to the world of carp fishin'...

If you want to peruse some carp tackle... https://newworldcarp.com/osc/

I recently ordered stuff from them and was pleased with the service...and the freebies they tossed in...

You might think carp fishing is expensive at first but if you compare it to other types of fishing it isn't really...

How much have we invested in the half dozen or more rods and reels, tackle and boats and motors it takes for our other types of fishing?...

My local tackle shop did not have any ready-made hair rigs left so I spent a couple of hours tying up a dozen yesterday during the rain...

Over two days last week I caught about 130 lbs of carp...2x25lbs and 4x18 to 20 lbs...My arm is still "ouchy"... :stretcher::lol: