Domenican Republic

Matt15

I am going to puerto plata in a week and I am going to be staying at the paradise Beach Resort. In the pictures it shows that it has a pier. I want to do some fishing off it but I dont really know what baits to use. I was thinking of bringing some spoons,rapalas and maybe get some shrimp. Has anyone fished in the Domincan from a beach or pier? How did you do? What fish would I mostly catch from the beach or pier? How often do I have to rinse my reels with freshwater? I would appreciate any advice? Thanks.

Matt

Hey Matt, go to the restaurant at the hotel and ask them for some shrimp....they will usually give it too you....and I'm sure that some spoons would work as well....bring stuff that is not too expensive and give them to the locals when you are done with them....you will make someone's day for sure!!! Have a great time, I've been there a few times and always had a blast....I leave next Monday for Puerta Vallarta Mexico....take care!!

Chrispy!

Matt, I returned from Samana in the Dominican Republic a few weeks back and hooked into some nice fish right off a pier at the resort. I didn't get into any Barracuda this time around but the Jacks I caught from shore were a lot of fun. Here's a link to my report in response to another thread about the Dominican on our board. I hope the info helps:

http://www.hookmorefish.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=1746 - Scroll down for my reply

As for your reels, what I did was submerge them in a a sink of cold water each day in my room and then shook them under the water, I then laid them on a towel to dry for the following day. Don't use hot water as it removes the grease from inside your gears etc. They are all fine and working perfectly still today ;)

Good luck and have a great trip!

Cheers, Shaun

Edited by Shaun R.

Hey Matt ,You have picked one of the worst resorts to go to in Peurto Plata. Made that mistake a few years back and demanded a move and got it.

The food is, and ,gives you the Sheeets. The rooms are in need of some serious help.

Be careful they might try to put you in a loft room. Most roofs leak there and the washroom is outside your room. don't let this happen.

As for fishing bring a telescopic rod and small spoons ,spinners and even a pickeral rig. There are places you can walk out on and there is a variety of fish. Rinse your reel after every outing if you don't it will seize up. For bait, you can usually get raw shrimp from the kitchen if you are savvey enough. If not twisters ,gulp or power baits will work. Hope you have a better experience than i did.

thanks everyone for the replys. I know its a lower end resort but we just wanted to go somewhere last minute and this was the only place. We usually go to over 4+ resorts but my aunt and mom dont want to come so itll only be my dad and uncle so i guess it'll be alright. Shawn thanks for telling me what to do with the reels. Sirfish I'm pretty sure were not in a loft romm but i we will definitly change rooms if we are. Thanks for letting us know. Sirfish how was the fishing when you were there. I will be leaving this sunday and will post a report when i get back.

Matt

• 2 weeks later...

well got back monday morning. The weather there was great didnt rain once. The fishing wasnt the best but i only gave it a shot a few times. I would of went out on a boat with a guide but the water was kind of rough on most days. Some local people didnt recommend it. As for the resort it self it was worst resort i have been to in terms of service and the way the rooms looked. The food was good. I found out that they are renovated the resort this spring which is very necessary. Overall i had a great time with the people around me and made the best out of it. I am happy that i'm back in time for the spring classic. lol.

Matt

Sorry to here that Matt, that resort is not getting to much positive feedback. :(

I would have traded positions with you though :D just being outside in the warm weather would be a good time for me right now, this winter is carrying on to long.